none
Visual Studio 2017 License: Trial extension RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Team,

My visual studio is showing that the license is expired. I can't work right now. I searched over the internet for solutions, I found some and I have applied them but the issue remains. I tried to run the ‘Developer Command Prompt for VS 2017 as administrator and run the command: devenv /resetuserdata to test, but it didn't work. I tried logout and login but didn't work, I tried to insert another email but didn't work as well. Kindly note that my visual studio is updated with the latest version.

Please help me solve this issue to resume work.

Thank you

Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What's the edition of your visual studio 2017?

Visual Studio 2017 professional/enterprise is not free to use, you will need to purchase them.

Visual studio community edition installation prompts you for a license, you might have to sign in to unlock the IDE. Follow the instructions here.

You can also try the following steps:

1. Close all the VS instances.

2. Delete: %localappdata%\.IdentityService\SessionTokens.json

3. Reboot your machine, launch VS and sign in again to see if everything works fine.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 12, 2018 8:07 AM

All replies

• When you open visual studio can you click on your name and check for a new license?  Where you using a trial version that expired?  You might have to install community edition if you dont have a valid license for the VS 2017 edition you are trying to use (pro or enterprise)
    Sunday, March 11, 2018 8:19 PM
  • Hi,

What's the edition of your visual studio 2017?

Visual Studio 2017 professional/enterprise is not free to use, you will need to purchase them.

Visual studio community edition installation prompts you for a license, you might have to sign in to unlock the IDE. Follow the instructions here.

You can also try the following steps:

1. Close all the VS instances.

2. Delete: %localappdata%\.IdentityService\SessionTokens.json

3. Reboot your machine, launch VS and sign in again to see if everything works fine.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 12, 2018 8:07 AM
  • Hi Mohamad Salman1991,

It seems that your VS was not the community version, am I right?

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:40 AM
  • Dear Jack,

You are right sir, it was not the community version, sorry for not paying attention on this and sorry for my late reply.

Best Regards,

Mohamad Salman

Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:30 PM
  • Dear Joce,

Thank you for your kind support and the support of the Community team, it was not the community version.

Best Regards,

Mohamad Salman

Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:37 PM