DeviceIoControl success on Windows 7 but failed on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I try to migrate my Win7 program to Win8 but encounter DeviceIoControl problem.

I install ndisprot driver first and can use CreateFile to get the driver handle.

*hDev = CreateFile(_T("\\\\.\\\\ndisprot"), GENERIC_WRITE | GENERIC_READ, 0, 0, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL | FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED, 0);

After obtaining the driver handle, I use DeviceIoControl to open the driver.

bResult = DeviceIoControl(*hDev, IOCTL_NDISPROT_OPEN_DEVICE, szAdapterName, (DWORD)_tcslen(szAdapterName)*sizeof(WCHAR), NULL, 0, &dwBytesReturned, 0);

The code above can run on Win XP, Vista, 7 without any problem instead of Windows 8.

I always obtain error code: 2 (The system cannot find the file specified.) during calling the DeviceIoControl, but don't why.

I real suffer about this problem.

Is there any different between Win8 and other Win OS?

And, how can I use the DeviceIoControl on Win8?

Thank you.

• Edited by Zuzu Wu Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:34 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:33 PM

Answers

• Assuming your driver is based of the NDISPROT sample, then the problem is that the "szAdapterName" is not a correct adapter name.  Look up the available adapters using IOCTL_NDISPROT_QUERY_BINDING to see which devices the NDISPROT protocol is bound to.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:40 PM

All replies

• Assuming your driver is based of the NDISPROT sample, then the problem is that the "szAdapterName" is not a correct adapter name.  Look up the available adapters using IOCTL_NDISPROT_QUERY_BINDING to see which devices the NDISPROT protocol is bound to.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your responds. Unfortunately, I still cannot use this IO control code on Windows 8.

However, I can query ndis on Windows 7 by using DeviceIoControl() without any problem.

The following code snip works well on Win7.

BOOL	    bResult;
    	char        Buf[1024];
        	DWORD       BufLength = sizeof(Buf);
    	DWORD       BytesWritten;
    	PNDISPROT_QUERY_BINDING pQueryBinding;
    	WCHAR		*strDeviceName[256][2];

pQueryBinding = (PNDISPROT_QUERY_BINDING)Buf;

int i = 0;
    	for (pQueryBinding->BindingIndex = i; /* NOTHING */; pQueryBinding->BindingIndex = ++i)
    	{

bResult = DeviceIoControl(hDev, IOCTL_NDISPROT_QUERY_BINDING, pQueryBinding, sizeof(NDISPROT_QUERY_BINDING), Buf, BufLength, &BytesWritten, NULL);
    		if (bResult == 0)
    		{
    			dwError = GetLastError();
    			printf("(%d) !!ERROR %d: \n", iIndex, dwError);
    		}
    		else
    		{
    			strDeviceName[pQueryBinding->BindingIndex][0] = (WCHAR *)((PUCHAR)pQueryBinding + pQueryBinding->DeviceNameOffset);
    			strDeviceName[pQueryBinding->BindingIndex][1] = (WCHAR *)((PUCHAR)pQueryBinding + pQueryBinding->DeviceDescrOffset);

//break;
    		}
    	}

I am not sure DeviceIoControl API can work on Windows 8 or not.

Or, is there any API can call device io control call to device?

Thank you.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:48 AM
  • DeviceIoControl() function is working differently in Windows 7 and Windows 8

I am trying to get the Hard Disk Serial using DeviceIoControl function. And calling it with same parameters it gives different value in output buffer in case of win7 and win8.

I am caliing it as

if ( DeviceIoControl (hPhysicalDriveIOCTL, IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY,
                        & query,
                        sizeof (query),
                        & buffer,
                        sizeof (buffer),
                        & cbBytesReturned, NULL) )

where hPhysicalDriveIOCTL = CreateFile (TEXT(deviceName), 0, FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, 0, NULL);

Friday, January 24, 2014 7:19 AM