web-ap working on old windows 2000 server, not on 2008 R2 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I am migrating our website off of an old Windows 2000 machine to a Windows 2008 R2 64bit machine.

I have had to make a few tweeks, make sure I have all the right .NET versions, rebuild data sources.  I have all the web-aps working except 1 (8 of 9 working).  With this one I downloaded and am using Matt Berseth's  GridViewExportUtil .

The .cs file resides in the App_Code folder of my website directory.  In the current production environment this application is working fine.  The compiler and browsers have no problem finding the class from the call in the default.cs class. But in the new development environment where I am trying to rebuild the website it is not working.  If I run the web-app from with in VS2010 ("view in browser") it works, but if I try to view it opening an independant instance of IE and using a localhost call, I get the error: "CS0103: The name 'GridViewExportUtil' does not exist in the current context"  and I get the same error when trying to view it from a remote machine using the http url .

As I said, this exact code and architecture is working fine in our production environment and when run from within VS2010 on the new server.  I have no idea what the disconnect could be.

I have not tried putting the GridViewExportUtiliy as an "in class" in my default.cs, I don't really want to do that and since it SHOULD work this way, I want to find the right solution.

I have played with file permission issues too.  I made everything as open/shared as possible, so I am really stumped.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:14 PM

Answers

• All I had to do was convert the IIS virtual directory to an application.  I have tried this with some of my web-apps and not with others and they all worked, so I wasn't certain WHY one needed to use this feature.  Now I know...

glad that is resolved!

Molly Azami GIS Developer Jackson EMC Jefferson, GA
    • Marked as answer by memaz Friday, March 18, 2011 3:12 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 3:12 PM

All replies

• Can I cross post this in a VS2010 forum?
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:09 PM
  • All I had to do was convert the IIS virtual directory to an application.  I have tried this with some of my web-apps and not with others and they all worked, so I wasn't certain WHY one needed to use this feature.  Now I know...

glad that is resolved!

Molly Azami GIS Developer Jackson EMC Jefferson, GA
    • Marked as answer by memaz Friday, March 18, 2011 3:12 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 3:12 PM