VS 2013: Browser Link renders JavaScript execution very slow RRS feed

• Question

• User2103511619 posted

Having the Browser Link feature enabled by default, debugging a web application with jQuery/JavaScript becomes 100 - 1000 times slower than having the Browser Link feature disabled.

I've almost got to wait a minute to get a table rendered from Ajax/JSON. Without Browser Link the result pops up in a snap.

What's causing this incredible slowdown in Browser Link?

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:52 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

HI AxelD

Welcome to asp.net forum.

First I think we should learn how Browser Link works.

Browser Link uses SignalR to create a communication channel between Visual Studio and the browser. When Browser Link is enabled, Visual Studio acts as a SignalR server that multiple clients (browsers) can connect to. Browser Link also registers an HTTP module with ASP.NET. This module injects special <script> references into every page request from the server. Perhaps it has some influence on speed when it communicates using Ajax.

Browser Link is enabled by default, in the Browser Link dropdown menu, uncheck Enable Browser Link to disable it.

Best regards

Angie Xu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:45 PM
  • User71929859 posted

I suspect that the dynamic javascript code injects by the browser link might be interfering with your AJAX calls. Is it happening on every browser? I'm not sure why it's happening, but you can read the bottom section of the below article to understand the Browser Link works

http://www.asp.net/visual-studio/overview/2013/using-browser-link

If it's happening in every browser, it's better to file a bug in Visual Studio Connect.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:11 AM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

HI AxelD

Welcome to asp.net forum.

First I think we should learn how Browser Link works.

Browser Link uses SignalR to create a communication channel between Visual Studio and the browser. When Browser Link is enabled, Visual Studio acts as a SignalR server that multiple clients (browsers) can connect to. Browser Link also registers an HTTP module with ASP.NET. This module injects special <script> references into every page request from the server. Perhaps it has some influence on speed when it communicates using Ajax.

Browser Link is enabled by default, in the Browser Link dropdown menu, uncheck Enable Browser Link to disable it.

Best regards

Angie Xu

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:45 PM
  • User71929859 posted

I suspect that the dynamic javascript code injects by the browser link might be interfering with your AJAX calls. Is it happening on every browser? I'm not sure why it's happening, but you can read the bottom section of the below article to understand the Browser Link works

http://www.asp.net/visual-studio/overview/2013/using-browser-link

If it's happening in every browser, it's better to file a bug in Visual Studio Connect.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:11 AM