none
How to have my app activate/load automatically? RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried out the sample project creating a new Outlook add-in, and it works fine, but it only loads when the user actually explicitly chooses it via the "Add-ins" button then selects my add-in.  I need my add-in to kick in automatically every time the user does 'new message' - what do I have to change to achieve this?

Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>> I need my add-in to kick in automatically every time the user does 'new message' - what do I have to change to achieve this?<<

This behavior is expected and it is not able to change at present. However, the mail add-in provide a new way(add-in commands).

An add-in command appears on the ribbon as a button. When a user installs an add-in, its commands appear in the UI as a group of buttons labeled with the add-in name.  This can be either on the ribbon's default tab or on a custom tab. For messages, the default is either the Home or Message tab. For the calendar, the default is the Meeting tab. On the default tab, each add-in can have one ribbon group with up to 6 commands. On custom tabs, the add-in can have up to 10 groups, each with 6 commands. Add-ins are limited to only one custom tab.

As the ribbon gets more crowded, the add-in commands will adjust (collapse) in an orderly way. In all cases, the add-in commands for an add-in will be grouped together.

Once an add-in command is added to an add-in, the add-in name is removed from the app bar. Only the add-in command button on the ribbon remains.

Here are some helpful links for this topic:
    Overview of add-in commands for Mail

Define add-in commands in your Outlook add-in manifest

Outlook Add-in Code Samples

And here is an video that introduce this feature from the 30 minute mark:
    https://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2015/3-694

Note: The add-in command work only in Outlook in Office 2016 Preview on Windows desktop.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 20, 2015 7:32 AM