The "CleanRiaClientFilesTask" task failed unexpectedly. RRS feed

• Question

• i was working on a wcf ria project when suddenly my pc crashes ( BSOD ).

prior to the crash everything was working fine.  but now i cannot build my silverlight project.  ria code generation is failing

------ Rebuild All started: Project: FSoft.FSuite.UI.Home, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: The "CleanRiaClientFilesTask" task failed unexpectedly.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(String path)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at Microsoft.RiaServices.Tools.RiaClientFilesTask.<FilesPreviouslyWritten>b__0(String f)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at System.Linq.EnumerableSorter`2.ComputeKeys(TElement[] elements, Int32 count)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at System.Linq.EnumerableSorter`1.Sort(TElement[] elements, Int32 count)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at System.Linq.OrderedEnumerable`1.<GetEnumerator>d__0.MoveNext()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at Microsoft.RiaServices.Tools.CleanRiaClientFilesTask.DeletePreviouslyWrittenFiles()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at Microsoft.RiaServices.Tools.CleanRiaClientFilesTask.ExecuteInternal()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at Microsoft.RiaServices.Tools.RiaClientFilesTask.Execute()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.Execute()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v3.0\Microsoft.Ria.Client.targets(143,6): error MSB4018: at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(EngineProxy engineProxy, ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, ITask task, Boolean& taskResult)

Done building project "FSoft.FSuite.UI.Home.csproj" -- FAILED.

is there a way for me to know where does Ria determine the path to do the clean up????

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:18 PM

Answers

• figured out the problem.

basically all files are stored in the \obj folder created by ria.. i just deleted all the files there and everything worked again.

(the obj folder of the affected silverlight project)

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:40 PM

All replies

• figured out the problem.

basically all files are stored in the \obj folder created by ria.. i just deleted all the files there and everything worked again.

(the obj folder of the affected silverlight project)

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Thank you very much. I had the same problem after a crash (new video card) and I was about to start recreating the whole solution before finding this.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Thanks for posting the solution.  My virtual machine crashed and I had the same issue after it came back online. 

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:56 PM