none
how can i give a time limit for software in vb.net RRS feed

• Question

• hi

i want my client use software for a specific time after that he repay me and use the software again.  and can not convert exe to source code 

MUHAMMAD ANZAR E-mail : muhammadanzar@hotmail.com Mobile # :0092-3215096959

Friday, February 15, 2019 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi

This is an often asked question.

The short answer could be to store the user date (perhaps a My.Settings item) on first use and evry subsequent use, check current date against stored date and terminate if out of bouinds.

The long answer: there really is no sure fire method to protect software. If you are prepared to pay, then the more you pay the better the protection you can buy - but, this is likely to keep out any but the persistent and knowledgeable hacker.

There are easily used encryption/decryption methods available in .NET, but, there remins the 'key' for that and that is the weak link.

The only real way, at reasonable cost, is online verification and authorization (which I do not know anything about). Keeping a database of users and authority level.

Almost all methods, certainly the 'home grown' ones, are open to password sharing where a valid user gives out his authority to others - very very difficult to deal with.

The very best way is to make very good software that users really want or find indispensible - most users will want to pay if it is worth it rather than trying to circumvent protection.

You will likely get a bunch of other replies. Hopefully someone else can give better information than I have.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

• Edited by leshay Friday, February 15, 2019 6:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mehmet Emin Kaymaz Friday, February 15, 2019 6:45 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2019 6:42 PM