Access 2002 runtime running under Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of upgrading our operating systems to Windows 7 but we have serveral applications written in Access 2002 which will still need to work. Are there any problems running Access 2002 mde's and ade's on a Windows 7 PC when it also has Office 2010 installed on it (Not Access 2010)?
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:37 PM

Answers

• Derek MSDN wrote:

Thank you for your reply. It is our long term aim to redevelop the applications in Visual Studio but it will take 2 or 3 years and we want to upgrade the operating systems now.

"Netscape 6.0 is finally going into its first public beta. There never was a version
    5.0. The last major release, version 4.0, was released almost three years ago. Three
    years is an awfully long time in the Internet world. During this time, Netscape sat
    by, helplessly, as their market share plummeted.

It's a bit smarmy of me to criticize them for waiting so long between releases. They
    didn't do it on purpose, now, did they?

Well, yes. They did. They did it by making the single worst strategic mistake that
    any software company can make:

They decided to rewrite the code from scratch"

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

Tony

• Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:47 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 8:03 PM

All replies

• None that I am aware of. Why don't you try it on the first machine that has been upgraded.

This may also be a good time to upgrade those applications to accdb, and deploy them using the free A2010 runtime.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Derek MSDN wrote:

We are in the process of upgrading our operating systems to Windows 7 but we have serveral applications written in Access 2002 which will still need to work. Are there any problems running Access 2002 mde's and ade's on a Windows 7 PC when it also has Office 2010 installed on it (Not Access 2010)?

Install the free Access 2010 runtime on those PCs.   If you have your own menus
    you'll have to make the setting change to remove the ribbon so your menu is not put
    in the ribbon Add-Ins section.

Keep on using Access 2002 to create the MDEs.  Once the last system has been
    installed switch to using Access 2010 and continue to distribute MDEs.

Tony

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Derek,

I'm running Access from MS Office XP.  When I upgrade to Windows 7 I had a couple of lines I had to change.  I wish I was smart enought to have written down what I changes, but it was very simple.  If you follow the above advise, you should have not problems. 

The issues I found were easy to find.  When I ran the form the errors showed up.  If you run everything a Windows 7 machine, you should find those errors (if you have them).

Good luck.

Dennis Solis

Dennis Solis
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. It is our long term aim to redevelop the applications in Visual Studio but it will take 2 or 3 years and we want to upgrade the operating systems now.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Derek MSDN wrote:

Thank you for your reply. It is our long term aim to redevelop the applications in Visual Studio but it will take 2 or 3 years and we want to upgrade the operating systems now.

"Netscape 6.0 is finally going into its first public beta. There never was a version
    5.0. The last major release, version 4.0, was released almost three years ago. Three
    years is an awfully long time in the Internet world. During this time, Netscape sat
    by, helplessly, as their market share plummeted.

It's a bit smarmy of me to criticize them for waiting so long between releases. They
    didn't do it on purpose, now, did they?

Well, yes. They did. They did it by making the single worst strategic mistake that
    any software company can make:

They decided to rewrite the code from scratch"

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

Tony

• Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:47 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 8:03 PM
  • I have a new computer running Windows 7 (32 bit) and also installed the Virtual Machine in XP mode. I am having major problems with my Access databases.

Any solutions for the following problems:

1) Access 2002-03 version, running in Access 2007 or Access 2010 with Windows 7 - unable to view a majority of the tables. Can view design, but to open the table, the program freezing - non- responding and I have to shut down the process.

2)As above with some reports.

3) Running in XP mode is slow. Had to create a mapped drive in both the Windows 7 and Windows XP mode to deal with the linked tables. Again very slow in XP mode

Any solutions? I like some of the features of Windows 7, but as an Access developer, I will probably need to reformat the new computer to XP

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:01 PM