none
Which one i have to install SQL Server 2014 Evaluation OR Express Edition

Question

• We plan to install SQL Server 2014, When i am trying to install SQL server 2014 there i can see SQL Server 2014 Evaluation and  Express Edition . which one i have to select from drop down menu to install. In SERVER 2012 r2 Please Help me.
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Depends on what environment and what your needs are.

Evaluation is for testing, express is for limited set of features.

For production, you need to enter the license key from your purchase.

22 years of database experience, most with SQL Server. Please 'Mark as answered' those posts that helped you.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:37 PM
  • I am having Key but i don't know which one to install that's the problem. Suppose installing Evaluation edition any issue will come in future. suppose if i want go for Express edition after installing Evaluation edition.  steps to perform to change evaluation edition to express edition.
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:49 PM
  • Evaluation edition will stop working in (I think) 120 days...

Do you see the section below the drop down that asks for a key?   Enter your key there and move forward...

22 years of database experience, most with SQL Server. Please 'Mark as answered' those posts that helped you.

• Edited by KevinBHill Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:07 PM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:06 PM
  •  ya same window, if having key also it work for only 120 days,  suppose there i select express edition providing the same key, then it works without any limitation.
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:19 PM
  • it doesn't matter what it says on Eval or Express...if you selected 'Enter the product key' you will get whatever edition you purchased.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:59 PM