none
MOSS People search returns no results RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I've done a fresh install of MOSS 2007. We have a farm with 1 web server, 1 query server, 1 index server.

I'm having issues with our people search. Our My Sites are on a seperate web application http://mysite

I have imported the user profiles from AD with no errors. My sites can be created with no problems. The only issue is when using people search it returns no results.

I've checked the crawl logs and im getting 2 errors

sts3://mysite/contentdbid={584fd848-bcad-474b-a...
    Error in the Site Data Web Service.

sps3://mysite
    Error in PortalCrawl Web Service.

I cant see anything in the event viewer relating to this. The normal content search is working fine. Can anyone help me?

Thank in advance
    Sarah
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:10 AM search q (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

A possibility results in the issue is that there is no root site collection created for the MySite web application.

The crawler in the people scope starts at the root of the site collection and fails because the root (/) site does not exist.

Please create a root site collection for the MySite web application following the steps:

1.       Go to Central Administration > Create Site Collection

2.       Choose the MySite Web Application.

3.       Create new top level root site for the web application.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Jeethu Joseph Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:02 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:47 AM

All replies

• HI Sarah,

I would like you to see if there are any data in People SCOPE. You can go to to this link by going into the SSP admin page. Then click on search settings. Then in Scopes section, you can see view scopes link.

I guess, the value besides the People scope would be 0. if so, you need to again crawl the People content source.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:54 AM
  • Thank you for the quick response. Just checked that and the scope is 0. Is there a way I can just crawl the people content source?
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:58 AM
  • Dear sarah:

you can need  a scope to people as the following :-

1-SSP admin page. Then click on search settings. Then in Scopes section, you can see view scopes link.then select New Scope.

2- after creatin gyour scope, then select Add rule link to create rule for people .

3- then check Property Query from list of Scope Rule Type.

4-select  Contet Class from "add property restriction" drop down list.

5-the type the following contentclass = urn:content-class:SPSPeople in the text box below.

- create content source and add sps3://yoursharepoint.and start full crawl again

Best Regrads, Ahmed Madany
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Hello, thanks for your response. I checked these settings and they are already there for the people scope.

I have 2 set up, one for people and one for sharepoint sites.

The item count in the people scope is 0 and I have tried running the crawl again but still no people results.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Are you getting non-people results? Can you sign on to your MySites web app with your default content access account?

You may need to set a Full Read Policy in Central admin (Application Management, Policy for Web Application) for your default content access account to see your MySites web application.

My blog: The Sanity Point My book: Professional Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Hello Sarah, Have you recently changed which servers you had configured as your query server and your index server...or possibly moved the index?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

A possibility results in the issue is that there is no root site collection created for the MySite web application.

The crawler in the people scope starts at the root of the site collection and fails because the root (/) site does not exist.

Please create a root site collection for the MySite web application following the steps:

1.       Go to Central Administration > Create Site Collection

2.       Choose the MySite Web Application.

3.       Create new top level root site for the web application.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Jeethu Joseph Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:02 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Hi Lambert

I just tried creating a root site collection, it had to be made either http://mysite/personal or http://mysite/sites so I made it under sites then did a full crawl but still no luck.

The people scope still has 0 results and the crawl log still brings the same 2 errors as I posted above?
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Hello

Thank you for your reply. The normal search works fine, the crawls work and it shows results when you use it.

I just checked the policy for my web application that my sites are on and it has exactly the same accounts/permissions as the other web applications which the normal search is working on they all have full read.

The people search just displays the standard message saying "No results matching your search were found" even though im searching for myself and I have created my mysite.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Hi Jason

This is a new install, I had previous problems after we had a major server crash and ended up rebuilding the farm. I didnt copy over any of the indexes just crawled the content again as this system isnt live yet. Everything else is working fine on this new install except the one issue with people search
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:29 AM
  • Hello

Thought id post an update, i have tried deleting the people scope and recreating it but the scope still says 0 items for people. I did a full crawl and updated the scope but still no luck.

There is a slight difference now when i search for my name, rather than bringing back the screen that says no results found, it brings up a screen that says -

Results 1-10 of about 5632 but it doesn't show me any results, the page is just blank underneath. Is there a way it would be searching everything now? there aren't 5632 people with the same name as me!

The details i put in the scope are:

Results page : peopleresults.aspx
    Rule: contentclass = urn:content-class:SPSPeople
    Behaviour: require

Does anyone have any idea whats going on? :)

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:56 AM
  • What do you get when you browse to just http://mysite? Do you get your profile page?
    My blog: The Sanity Point My book: Professional Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Hi Woody

Thanks for replying, yip if i type in http://mysite it take me to my profile page, the same happens for everyone.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:53 AM
  • Hi Sarah,

Were u managed to solve this issue.. Am having the same problem. Other search works fine.. Only the people search is not working and getting the result as "No results matching your search were found. "

If u have found the solution, Please post it..

Thanks

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:43 AM
  • Hi Deekshan

I ended up having to phone Microsoft for this one.

The problem was as Lambert suggested above that a top level site collection had not been made for my sites. I think it was the 'My site host' template that he chose to make the site collection.

Once that was done it started showing results (apart from my account!) to resolve this we ended up having to create a whole new ssp and it works now :)

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Hi Sarah

Thanks for the response. But i don't have access to create a new SSP and new site collection. Is there any other way to solve this issue?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:35 AM
  • Thank you for the answer.

I also tried adding site:port/mysite to my Content Source list of Addresses, but it didnt like having the site:port then site:port/site defined twice.

I created the root site collection as a blank team site template on my mysite web app like your post said and it works.

I guess search doesnt like the managed path mysite in a web app if there is no root web app site collection.  :/ Just like infopath forms publishing :D

Thanks

-Eric
    Monday, November 22, 2010 8:04 PM