Re-pinning a secondary tile RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to re-pin a secondary tile (programmatically or otherwise) after the user un-pins it?  I am finding that I can't re-pin the tile.  The only way to get the tile back is to remove the shortcut file, and then I can re-create the secondary tile, and it will be displayed.

I'm thinking that Windows 8 should not allow the user to un-pin a secondary tile; it should only allow the user to remove the tile.  Any thoughts?

Glenn Johnson

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:24 PM

Answers

• It sounds like what is happening is that, the pinned tile has been unpinned from Start but still is in All Apps, so if you go to Start and search for it, it'll show up in the search results and you can re-pin it from there. If you were to "remove" the secondary tile, you can repin it from the app.

Hope that helps!

Nazia

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Glenn,

Did you have a question or was this post in error?

Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 12:39 PM
  • oops, thanks.  I redid the question.

Glenn Johnson
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Basically the user is in control here. If she unpins the tile, she can re-pin it or not. To re-pin the tile, the user can search for it, right click and select pin. But the app shouldn't be able to force the secondary tile to be pinned or unpinned.
    T.A., Founder and CEO, Apexa, www.apexa.co
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:00 AM
  • So, the problem here is that the user might be at the Start Screen and then unpins a secondary tile.  Later, the user is in the app and decides to re-pin the tile from within the app.  Nothing happens.  Try it on any of the sample apps.  Yes, you can search, but the user should also be able to repin from within the app.
    Glenn Johnson

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Yes that's an interesting scenario. I would imagine this case should pin the tile back to start view, since it is a user-initiated action.
    T.A., Founder and CEO, Apexa, www.apexa.co
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:44 AM
  • It sounds like what is happening is that, the pinned tile has been unpinned from Start but still is in All Apps, so if you go to Start and search for it, it'll show up in the search results and you can re-pin it from there. If you were to "remove" the secondary tile, you can repin it from the app.

Hope that helps!

Nazia

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:31 AM
  • I agree, but either the developer should be able to re-pin, or re-pin should not be available to the user on the start menu. If re-pin is not available, the user would simply choose "remove" and then the app could pin a new secondary tile.  Basically, un-pinning should not be available to the user on the start menu for secondary tiles; only remove should be available.
    Glenn Johnson
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your feedback, we'll definitely discuss this internally.

Cheers,

Nazia

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:25 PM