locked
Schema changes history report problem RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi all,

    I have an SQL 2014 Ent clustered instance with CSV. Recently I found that the Schema Changes History doesn't work. I got an error that trace file is unavailable.

    I have checked that 'default trace enabled' advanced option is 1 (enabled), but 'select * from sys.traces' gives me an empty output.

    I have disabled an re-enabled 'default trace enabled' advanced option. I can see a trace file in sys.traces now, but the output of Schema Changes History is following even after performing changes:

    Currently, this report does not have any data to show, because default trace does not contain relevant information

    How can I push the report (or trace) to work?

    Thanks!

    Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:10 AM

All replies

  • The report initially wasn't working because the trace was not running. Now that it is running, it contains no data because no schema change has been made since the trace was started. Makes sense to me. What am I missing?
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:27 AM

  • Hello. I have performed some changes like create DB, take it offline, change recovery model but the report is still empty.
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:58 AM
  • Hello. I have performed some changes like create DB, take it offline, change recovery model but the report is still empty.

    I don't use that report, but does not sound like a schema change to me. Try creating a table.

    Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:14 PM
  • Hi Erland,

    Thank you for the answer.

    These actions are performing ALTER statement on the certain DB. All ALTER operations are shown in the mentioned report under a DataBase name object. All actions with a table are shown under specific table object.

    I think that the problem relates to a default server's trace and not to a report itself.

    Monday, October 3, 2016 8:43 AM
  • I had the same situation today with SQL Server 2016.

    Even though the default trace was enabled the 'select * from sys.traces' gave me an empty output.

    The solution was to disable and re-enable the default trace. 

    sp_configure 'default trace enabled', 0
    GO
    RECONFIGURE Go

    sp_configure 'default trace enabled'1

    GO
    RECONFIGURE 
    GO

    • Proposed as answer by VikasDMore Thursday, August 27, 2020 4:38 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2020 4:38 PM