How do I download MSDN library?

Question

• I want to download offline help files for Microsoft Visual Basic Express 2010. I know that it is available as MSDN library but how and from where do I download it? I searched the MSDN website with no results. When I had Visual Basic 2008 express, I had MSDN offline library installed but it does not work on Visual Basic 2010 express. So, I want to download MSDN offline library for Visual Basic 2010 Express edition.

Thanks!

DaveTheRoyale http://secondthought.weebly.com http://davetheroyale.wordpress.com
    Monday, May 10, 2010 3:10 PM

Answers

• Dave,

Here is a quick overview of the steps you can take:

1. From within the Visual Basic Express Help menu you should see a "Manage Help Settings" option.  Help Library Manager will start. 
    2. The very first time it starts you will be prompted to give a location to store your help files. 
    3. After that you will be given a list of options
    4. Click on "Install content from online"
    5. Select the books you wish to add to your machine by clicking the "Add" link.
    6. Click on update.

After selecting update the books will be downloaded and installed on your machine.

- Jason

• Marked as answer by DaveTheRoyale Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:12 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:21 PM

All replies

• Dave,

Here is a quick overview of the steps you can take:

1. From within the Visual Basic Express Help menu you should see a "Manage Help Settings" option.  Help Library Manager will start. 
    2. The very first time it starts you will be prompted to give a location to store your help files. 
    3. After that you will be given a list of options
    4. Click on "Install content from online"
    5. Select the books you wish to add to your machine by clicking the "Add" link.
    6. Click on update.

After selecting update the books will be downloaded and installed on your machine.

- Jason

• Marked as answer by DaveTheRoyale Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:12 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Dave,

This my answer:

1. Visit Microsoft's MSDN Library download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7bbe5eda-5062-4ebb-83c7-d3c5ff92a373&displaylang=en

2. Scroll down to the "Files in This Download" section. Click on all five of the "Download" buttons on the right side of the page. Click the second radio button to save the file, and click "OK." There are three WinRAR files, one executable file, and one ISO file. Each file will take several minutes to an hour to download, depending on your connection speed.

3. Double click the .exe executable file after all of the files have finished downloading. Click the "Install" button on the lower left corner of the program box that pops up.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Hi Aladiw,

I see, you found the naswer to your question regarding MSDN Library on your own.

But this is the old MSDN Help only and with Visual Studio 2010 there is a new format and the new content is only available in this format.

But for you, the MSDN Library 2008 SP1 is correct, even if you only use the old VB6. That should be part of that Library, too. (At least in the past we always downloaded the MSDN Library to update it. It was available on a regular basis for MSDN Subscribers - or better: We even got the CDs / DVDs in the past  ...)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:35 AM