none
.NET Framework 2.0 SDK will not successfully install on (x64)Vista or (x64)Windows Server 2008 RC. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK on a WXP 32-bit box before but never had any success mitigating failure to install on a 64-bit OS. Could someone please explain to me why?

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Lypoten,

Thank you for your reply.

The verification tool issues system state information to the effect of covering the side-by-side on my machine. On Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent (x64) the OS detect is Windows 7 (x64). Which is false.

I think that you got the information "the OS detect is Windows 7 (x64)" from the log file of Verification Tool, right?
    Since Windows Server 2008 R2 applies the similar core as Windows 7, the log will show OS information as Windows 7.
    On my Windows Server 2008 R2, when I run Verification Tool, the result is the same.

Do you mean that .NET Framework 2.0 is not verified on Server 2008 R2?
    If yes, you might need to try the steps mentioned in the blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

Visual Studio 2005 Users: If you have already installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (except the Express Editions), you do not need to install the .NET Framework SDK separately. Visual Studio 2005 includes the SDK as one of the optional components to install during Visual Studio 2005 setup."

And it's actually that last paragraph which leaves me with some trepidation about proceeding further. This is a detail that shouldn't really concern me but is here on this page nontheless:

Visual Studio 2005 Professional and all it's service pack incarnations AT INSTALL TIME ... WILL NOT INSTALL on Windows Vista (x64) or Windows Vista (x86).

Visual Studio 2005 can be installed on Windows Vista. Although there is compatibility concern with Windows Vista during the installation, we can upgrade VS2005 >> VS2005 SP1 >> Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista in order to deal with the compatibility concern. I can run VSTS2005 on one Windows Vista machine without any problem. 

Finally, and rephrased yet again, my question:

Why, if the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK (x64) bit will install on Windows XP (x64), won't it it  install on Vista (x64) and Windows 7 (x64)?

For your concern, I have also tried installing .NET Framework 2.0 SDK x64 on both Windows Vista x64 and Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. It can be installed on both of the OS.

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pKlyLFEeADgY3BmZtZl8tAjMYzUVWxNVsHuHY5xXkNYiRqaGRU1dt70koj584IWqTiEEHJdlzVCwq1nJUDrR54g/NET2.0SDK_Server%202008%20R2.png?psid=1

I would suspect that your issue might be related to corrupted .NET Framework 2.0 installation.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, June 18, 2010 3:05 AM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:15 AM
  • Hi Lypoten,

I might as well ask, while I wouldn't be able to verify that these screen caps come from a box with any development tools and you're still running around with that WS2k8 curtain hanging in the background, obviously:

I can understand that the server is very important for your daily work. So you're very careful to handle it.

However, I can absolutely ensure that the screen shot is captured from Window Server 2008 R2 machine.
    Your original concern is "why .NET Framework 2.0 SDK won't install on Vista (x64), Windows 7 (x64) or Windows Server 2008 R2". I just showed you the result that I tried installing it on different x64 machine to confirm that .NET Framework 2.0 SDK x64 can be installed on these x64 OS including Window Server 2008 R2.

If you have any suspicion on the result that I have tried on my Windows Server 2008 R2, you can build a Windows Server 2008 R2 clean machine or try virtual machine to start from scratch and install .NET Framework 2.0 SDK.

Does the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK (x64) indeed install alongside the Windows 7.0 or Windows 7.1 SDKs and do the ASP.NET samples run without browser errors behind Local System/Network Service?

Off topic, I know. Next stop, ASP.NET forum ...

For your second concern, you're right. ASP.NET Forum would be a better place that you could consult ASP.NET related concern. Hope your issue will be solved ASAP.

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, June 14, 2010 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hope you were not installing x86 SDK on x64?

Here is the .NET SDK in x64:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1AEF6FCE-6E06-4B66-AFE4-9AAD3C835D3D&displaylang=en

This must install on your x64 box.

Vidya Vrat Agarwal. http://dotnetpassion.blogspot,com
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Hi Lypoten,

As Vidya mentioned, we need to install the appropriate installer on different OS with different platform.

For x86 machine: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=fe6f2099-b7b4-4f47-a244-c96d69c35dec&displaylang=en
    For x64 machine: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1AEF6FCE-6E06-4B66-AFE4-9AAD3C835D3D&displaylang=en
    For IA64 machine: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F4DD601B-1B88-47A3-BDC1-79AFA79F6FB0&displaylang=en

Please remember to install the .NET Framework 2.0 prior to installing the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Vidya,

Thanks. Hope springs eternal ...

The site I got the installation package from is:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/securedownloads/default.aspx

Which of course, I must login to as myself (sp?)

And then going through the File Transfer Manager (FTM), the only real indication of where/what the potential package is, is:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/global.geo.ds.microsoft.com/anyfile.ext
    fp-pr1.ds.microsoft.com

My guess is that I Iamm downloading:

en_net_framework_sdk_20_x64.exe

(Because that is what I got.)

Your link DOES download though ... will get backk to you on success or no ...

... some-what-later-post ...

Vidya,

I compared the two 64-bit packages of the SDK and they're the same. Also the failed install occurred on a Windows 7 64-bit OS not as I originally proposed (WS2k8R2_64),though I have attempted an install of this 64-bit SDK on Vista 64-bit and run into failure.

Just now I was reading that the only supported OSes for .NET Framework 2.0 SDK x64 are Windows 2000, Windows XP (assuming x64), and Windows Server 2003. I suspect that I will still run into the ASP.NET registration roadblock in any case.

So, I've got to re-ask my question but slightly rephrased:

Why won't the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK 64-bit package install on a 64-bit OS?

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Hi Lypoten,

I've tried to install .NET Framework 2.0 SDK x64 installer on my Windows 7 x64 machine. It can be installed successfully on my machine as the following screen shot:
    http://2efoga.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pjx7vJGliSuJxGpd1ZQHl4_SZgLn_zVlQtWEZ3zh4KGqF4GjMTVfrCJ0T6XfJpkidrQW-oBnr6s6sgjBUtvAqNxNbZLLFlMrc/NET2.0SDK.PNG?psid=1

.NET Framework 2.0 SDK x64 is supported on some x64 OS as mentioned in the system requirement: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1AEF6FCE-6E06-4B66-AFE4-9AAD3C835D3D&displaylang=en#Requirements (including Windows 7 x64).

To install .NET Framework 2.0 SDK, we should have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed successfully.

Could you please help me to use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0 on Windows Vista or later OS? If .Net Framework 2.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx
    Then download .NET Framework 2.0 SDK x64 installer from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1AEF6FCE-6E06-4B66-AFE4-9AAD3C835D3D&displaylang=en and install it again.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:10 AM
  • YiChun,

Thanks for the persistence of .NET Framework 2.0 SDK vision!

The verification tool issues system state information to the effect of covering the side-by-side on my machine. On Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent (x64) the OS detect is Windows 7 (x64). Which is false.

Please entertain my thoughts a bit further. The Ntfwk2sdk_x64 download page, in part, states:

"System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows XP 64-bit
    • Required Software:
      o NET Framework v2.0 (x64): You must install the .NET Framework v2.0 (x64) prior to installing the .NET Framework SDK (x64).
      o 64 bit support: requires the latest 64-bit version of either Windows Server 2003 SP1 or XP Professional x64 Edition and a supported x64 compatible 64-bit CPU.

Visual Studio 2005 Users: If you have already installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (except the Express Editions), you do not need to install the .NET Framework SDK separately. Visual Studio 2005 includes the SDK as one of the optional components to install during Visual Studio 2005 setup."

And it's actually that last paragraph which leaves me with some trepidation about proceeding further. This is a detail that shouldn't really concern me but is here on this page nontheless:

Visual Studio 2005 Professional and all it's service pack incarnations AT INSTALL TIME ... WILL NOT INSTALL on Windows Vista (x64) or Windows Vista (x86).

So, THAT information, while helpful if I was thinking about installing the SDK on a Windows XP (x64) box (and I'm not) with Visual Studio 2005 as my dev tool (which I'm also not), is incomplete at best. And the bottom line is I'm worried about breaking my Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) install of the current Windows 7.1 SDK.

Having successfully installed a Visual Studio 2005 development environment on a Windows XP Pro (x86) box and attained a satisfactory working ASP.NET interface with the Ntfwk2.0SDK, I KNOW HOW FRAGILE A STATE this functionality is in.

Why, if the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK (x64) bit will install on Windows XP (x64), won't it it  install on Vista (x64) and Windows 7 (x64)?

Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:14 PM
  • Hi Lypoten,

I think that you got the information "the OS detect is Windows 7 (x64)" from the log file of Verification Tool, right?
    Since Windows Server 2008 R2 applies the similar core as Windows 7, the log will show OS information as Windows 7.
    On my Windows Server 2008 R2, when I run Verification Tool, the result is the same.

Do you mean that .NET Framework 2.0 is not verified on Server 2008 R2?
    If yes, you might need to try the steps mentioned in the blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0.

Visual Studio 2005 can be installed on Windows Vista. Although there is compatibility concern with Windows Vista during the installation, we can upgrade VS2005 >> VS2005 SP1 >> Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista in order to deal with the compatibility concern. I can run VSTS2005 on one Windows Vista machine without any problem. 

For your concern, I have also tried installing .NET Framework 2.0 SDK x64 on both Windows Vista x64 and Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. It can be installed on both of the OS.

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pKlyLFEeADgY3BmZtZl8tAjMYzUVWxNVsHuHY5xXkNYiRqaGRU1dt70koj584IWqTiEEHJdlzVCwq1nJUDrR54g/NET2.0SDK_Server%202008%20R2.png?psid=1

I would suspect that your issue might be related to corrupted .NET Framework 2.0 installation.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:15 AM
  • YiChen,

Well a "corrupt" .NET Framework 2.0 installation IS a start. Since THIS IS the framework setup forum, I have chosen the right place to bring that up.

I know this is not the right place to discuss an issue with a legacy platform (Visual Studio 2005 Pro) but I'm still going to have to take exception to your redirection statement:

"Visual Studio 2005 can be installed on Windows Vista. Although there is compatibility concern with Windows Vista during the installation, we can upgrade VS2005 >> VS2005 SP1 >> Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista in order to deal with the compatibility concern. I can run VSTS2005 on one Windows Vista machine without any problem."

It is one big pain of a problem my friend. And that's about all I have to say about that.

Moving on to a .NET Framework 2.0 SDK rephrase of my question then, because I feel that I am not quite "made whole" in a political capital way here after the above rebuff:

Due to ongoing issues with things such as corruption, am I being overly safe in assuming that the right course of action with respect to attempting to install the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK (x64) with the Windows 7.1 SDK correctly installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent is to scrub that mission?

Thanks YiChen, ahead of time.

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:50 PM
  • YiChen,

I've just recalled the question I was formulating before I saw your last post and scribed the above comment.

Your attached images are superb, by the way. Thank-you for the added effort in allaying my concerns.

I might as well ask, while I wouldn't be able to verify that these screen caps come from a box with any development tools and you're still running around with that WS2k8 curtain hanging in the background, obviously:

Does the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK (x64) indeed install alongside the Windows 7.0 or Windows 7.1 SDKs and do the ASP.NET samples run without browser errors behind Local System/Network Service?

Friday, June 11, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Hi Lypoten,

I can understand that the server is very important for your daily work. So you're very careful to handle it.

However, I can absolutely ensure that the screen shot is captured from Window Server 2008 R2 machine.
    Your original concern is "why .NET Framework 2.0 SDK won't install on Vista (x64), Windows 7 (x64) or Windows Server 2008 R2". I just showed you the result that I tried installing it on different x64 machine to confirm that .NET Framework 2.0 SDK x64 can be installed on these x64 OS including Window Server 2008 R2.

If you have any suspicion on the result that I have tried on my Windows Server 2008 R2, you can build a Windows Server 2008 R2 clean machine or try virtual machine to start from scratch and install .NET Framework 2.0 SDK.

For your second concern, you're right. ASP.NET Forum would be a better place that you could consult ASP.NET related concern. Hope your issue will be solved ASAP.

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, June 14, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Hi Lypoten,

I'm writing to follow up the post.

Please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Hi Lypoten,

I've marked my reply as answer. If you have any concern, please feel free to me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, June 18, 2010 3:05 AM