SQL Mirror design RRS feed

• Question

• I have multiple SQL servers with databases on each.

I want to mirror certain database on different servers. 

Can one mirror server support mirroring on multiple database on different sql servers?

Thanks

Ave

Dave Kozlowski

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:26 PM

Answers

• Shanky,

Yes that is supported and possible on one sql server you can have mirroring configured for 2 or more DB but make sure port used is different

There can only be one database mirroring endpoint per server - so I'm assuming you meant different ports on other servers? They can all be the same port as a standardization method, there is nothing wrong with that.

Dave,

This is entirely possible. Think about using a witness (if you want automatic failover) and the networking overhead if you're going to have many databases mirrored to many others. It may make sense to have a dedicated network or path for this traffic, I'd speak with your networking team.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Monday, October 21, 2013 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:37 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I have multiple SQL servers with databases on each.

I want to mirror certain database on different servers. 

Can one mirror server support mirroring on multiple database on different sql servers?

Thanks

Ave

Dave Kozlowski

Hello,

Yes that is supported and possible on one sql server you can have mirroring configured for 2 or more DB but make sure port used is different

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Shanky,

There can only be one database mirroring endpoint per server - so I'm assuming you meant different ports on other servers? They can all be the same port as a standardization method, there is nothing wrong with that.

Dave,

This is entirely possible. Think about using a witness (if you want automatic failover) and the networking overhead if you're going to have many databases mirrored to many others. It may make sense to have a dedicated network or path for this traffic, I'd speak with your networking team.

-Sean

• Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Monday, October 21, 2013 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:37 PM
    Answerer

• There can only be one database mirroring endpoint per server - so I'm assuming you meant different ports on other servers? They can all be the same port as a standardization method, there is nothing wrong with that.

Yes I meant the same .Also Endpoints are specific to particular server instance ,two different  SQL instances on one box will have different  endpoints and ports

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Also Endpoints are specific to particular server instance ,two different SQL instances on one box will have different endpoints and ports

Correct - though I would caution mirroring more than 10 or so databases per instance even with 64 bit instances.

-Sean

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:55 PM
    Answerer