none
Installed VSTO Add-In not shown on the Add-Ins dialog box RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed a VSTO add-in on Excel successfully.  I can see it in the Office ► Excel Options ► Add-Ins 

box.  But when I clicked on the Go while "Excel Add-ins" is selected in the Manage drop-down box, I cannot see add-in in the Add-Ins dialog box.  My objective is to remove the installed add-in because it was for testing purpose only.  

Could someone help?!  Thanks.

BI Analyst
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 1:15 AM

Answers

• Hello,

> But when I clicked on the Go while "Excel Add-ins" is selected in the Manage drop-down box

Choose "COM Add-ins" instead.

If you installed it, you can also uninstall it, can't you? If by "installed" you mean "built my VSTO project" then you need to choose "Clean {your project}" in the Build menu in Visual studio.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 12:15 PM
  • VSTO doesn't support creating Excel add-ins; it supports creating COM add-ins for Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.

"Excel Add-ins" is a synonym for "Excel UDFs"; UDF is "user defined function".

A VSTO add-in can be installed in these ways:

• via ClickOnce - this requires publishing, etc; this is the way VSTO 2010 provides; it installs on the per-user basis
    • via .MSI - you need to google for how to create a traditinal installer for a VSTO add-in; it allow creating per-user and per-machine installers;

Please check this post; it provides really useful info.

When you build the add-in project, the add-in gets registered. Pressing F5 builds the project (and registers the add-in) and starts the host application (in your case, this is Excel), which loads your add-in and here you go.

Cleaning the project also unregisters the add-in.

Andrei Smolin
    Monday, November 7, 2011 10:09 AM

All replies

• Just want to add this.  It may be because I did not provide a description in the Assembly Information box.  Please help me to uninstall the test add-in.  Thanks!

BI Analyst
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Knowing what version of Office you are running would be helpful because the add-in is loaded either in the Current User or the Local Machine hive of the Windows registry.  In addition, what version of Windows? 32 or 64 bit and then what did you use to install it, Click-Once or MSI?

Start by checking in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Add-ins and see if your add-in is listed there.  If it is you can stop it from loading by changing the Load Behavior to "2" or you can remove it's folder completely.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hello,

> But when I clicked on the Go while "Excel Add-ins" is selected in the Manage drop-down box

Choose "COM Add-ins" instead.

If you installed it, you can also uninstall it, can't you? If by "installed" you mean "built my VSTO project" then you need to choose "Clean {your project}" in the Build menu in Visual studio.

Andrei Smolin
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 12:15 PM
  • @Andrei - Your solution works! I choose the "COM Add-ins" drop down and saw the name there, so I just uninstalled it by unchecked the box.  ("Built my VSTO project" is not "installed".  I built it and published it.  Then it generated  setup.exe, the [Project Name].vsto, and a [Project Name] folder. I clicked the setup.exe file to install the add-in.) 

What I do not understand it that why it is not an Excel Add-in, but instead, a COM Add-in?

@Rich - the problem is solved.  But just for your information, it is on Excel 2007 and the OS is XP (32 Bit).  I am glad that I do not have to go to the Windows registry to fix this!  :)

Another spin-off question: Do I need to do start debugging, build, and publishing to create the add-in installation files?  Or I can just do publishing and it will include build?  Does running start debugging also ran build?

Thank you, both!

BI Analyst
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 6:58 PM
  • VSTO doesn't support creating Excel add-ins; it supports creating COM add-ins for Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.

"Excel Add-ins" is a synonym for "Excel UDFs"; UDF is "user defined function".

A VSTO add-in can be installed in these ways:

• via ClickOnce - this requires publishing, etc; this is the way VSTO 2010 provides; it installs on the per-user basis
    • via .MSI - you need to google for how to create a traditinal installer for a VSTO add-in; it allow creating per-user and per-machine installers;

Please check this post; it provides really useful info.

When you build the add-in project, the add-in gets registered. Pressing F5 builds the project (and registers the add-in) and starts the host application (in your case, this is Excel), which loads your add-in and here you go.

Cleaning the project also unregisters the add-in.

Andrei Smolin
    Monday, November 7, 2011 10:09 AM
  • @ Andrei: Thanks again for your help!  

Do you know if I need to do start debuggingbuild, and publishing to create the add-in installation files?  Or I can just dopublishing and it will include build?  Does running start debugging also ran build?

@Cindy (The Moderator): Is there a setting that can automatically send me a notification when someone reply to my thread?

BI Analyst
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:48 AM