Peek Definition not working for me in VS 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Visual Studio 2013 Professional Version 12.0.30501.00 Update 2. The .NET version is 4.5.50938.

I would love to use the Peek Definition feature but nothing happens when I click on that choice in the context menu or press ALT+F12. I have done Google searches and found no remedy. There is no mention in this forum of anyone having such a problem (or at least none that come up with a search on "peek definition").

Go To Definition works just fine.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be going on with my installed Visual Studio?

Thanks for any help.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Works for me.

Anything fundamentally wrong here?  Read this:  How to: View and Edit Code by Using Peek Definition (Alt+F12)

Can you give us repro steps so we can try exactly what you tried?  Tell us what kind of project you created, what code you entered, and what you did to try to invoke the Peek Definition feature.

• Marked as answer by John Kotuby Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:44 PM
  • Peek Definition does not work for me when the definition is in the same code file as the reference. While hovering over the reference, the definition line is displayed in a Tool Tip type window, but I cannot edit it there. If that definition is 1000 lines before the reference then I must scroll all the way up to it in order to edit. Then I must again scroll back to the reference location to continue editing in the original location. Is this the proper behavior that the Peek Definition window does not open for a location in the same code file?

Is there is a quick way to move back to directly to the original the editing location after selecting Go To Definition?

thanks

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:58 PM
  • Last note: If it is true that Peek Definition does not work within the same code file then that should clearly be stated in the documentation.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:39 PM