Trends no longer possible in SSRS 2016 after upgrading from SSRS 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

We have a full plant running reports of time-based data. Certain devices log their value based on a trigger, and we chart the values time-based, of multiple dynamic devices, in 1 chart. This was perfectly possible in SSRS 2005.

Now we upgraded to SQL 2016 and SSRS 2016, and the chart interprets the categories as groups. Therefor, each timestamp of a device is viewed as a category, when a device has a timestamp that another device does not have, the 2nd device will trend this as EmptyPoint. Since we cannot color emptypoints automatically based on series, it is impossible to show the charts. I can see this because when I show the EmptyPoints on the chart, they are on the timestamps where another device has a value.

When only having 1 series, it shows fine. Having 2 series, will show mostly gaps except when a device has 2 timestamps near eachother while the other has not. Having more series, will show empty chart except placeholders.

We tried all different types of trends. We tried migrating and creating from scratch, it just won't show up and people start getting nervous.

The full plant is running based on this reports, and we are totally blind now. How can we fix this please, see attached pictures with both versions and the data. I could not find any solution for this on the internet.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 4:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Joris85,

According to your description, it seems that you want to connect all the point in one series, right? If I have something misunderstood, please correct me.

I guess that you use the Line Chart(Line with marker), I create chart like below and configure the categories group in Vales like below(right click the [value], choose series properties )

Then I will get the result below

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Joris85 Friday, November 10, 2017 10:51 AM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Joris85,

According to your description, it seems that you want to connect all the point in one series, right? If I have something misunderstood, please correct me.

I guess that you use the Line Chart(Line with marker), I create chart like below and configure the categories group in Vales like below(right click the [value], choose series properties )

Then I will get the result below

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Joris85 Friday, November 10, 2017 10:51 AM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 2:36 AM
  • Thank you this solved the issue!
    Friday, November 10, 2017 10:51 AM