none
Visual Studio 2015 Crashes after starting computer

Question

• I'm using VS 2015 community edition for a few months and its pretty unstable (version 14.0.25431.01)

I Hope this is the correct forum for this issue, I also sent a report from within VS

Almost every day after starting my computer after sleep mode, visual studio 2015 + ssms crash with an error which I found in the event log:

Application: devenv.exe / Ssms.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.OutOfMemoryException
       at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE+Channel.SyncFlush()
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean, System.Nullable`1<ChannelSet>)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

I also have this information item in my log:
    Fault bucket 129225806738, type 5
    Event Name: CLR20r3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Ssms.exe
    P2: 2015.130.15900.1
    P3: 57e2cfaf
    P4: PresentationCore
    P5: 4.6.1586.0
    P6: 575a1a7d
    P7: 5502
    P8: 13
    P9: System.OutOfMemoryException
    P10: 

Attached files:
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER172.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Ssms.exe_ce5ff073aa187b6f1ef42d36c11317d0e874629_0fc6c8c2_70a01920

Analysis symbol: 
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: f2a36ffe-319d-4f41-ad05-acde92b009c6
    Report Status: 0
    Hashed bucket: 723362bcac4417bf75aa72d2e09a3465

Assaf

Thursday, October 27, 2016 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Assaf L,

According to your description, this issue is OOM. Please refer to the following steps to troubleshot your issue:

1). Please make sure your machine has enough memory usage when VS starts. Please pay attention to Task Manager to find whether there is an application occupy a high memory usage.

2). Please start VS in safe mode (devenv /SafeMode), which could prevent all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

If step2 works for you, you need to uninstall some third plugins in your VS.

3). If this issue was happened after updating VS to latest version, I suggest you could repair the VS.

Open control panel-> programs and features ->right-click Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 ->change ->Repair

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by qing__Moderator Wednesday, November 02, 2016 9:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by qing__Moderator Monday, November 07, 2016 1:26 AM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 5:57 AM
  • Hi Oscar 

Thank you for your reply

1. I didnt notice any memory issue, I have 8Gb while VS requires only 1

2. I will try the safe mode option for the next few days and see if it helps

3. The issue happened after first installation of VS and wasnt resolved after the last 3 updates 

Assaf

Saturday, November 05, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Hi Assaf,

Thanks for your response, please feel free to let me know your latest results.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 07, 2016 1:27 AM