SSRS 2016 Mobile Report Dataset using SSAS 2016 Tabular Data Model Row Level Security RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a tutorial on how to setup a SSRS 2016 dataset (for a mobile dashboard) that's connected to a 2016 SSAS Tabular data model, to use row level security ? 

Currently I have row level security setup on the tabular model working perfectly if the user connects to the model in Excel.

Does anyone know how I should configure creating the dataset that uses the SSAS data model as a source ? And how I should configure the report server's connection to that data model ? I believe I want to pass a service account to the tabular model that has full read access, but also use the user name being passed for Row Level Security ?

Thanks ! 

Sunday, November 20, 2016 10:34 PM

Answers

• Hi David.Squires,

According to your description, you would like to use SSAS Tabular Data Model with Row Level Security in SSRS 2016 mobile reports, right?

Based on my research, if we are using SQL Server 2016 as our data source, we can take advantage of the new, built-in row-level security functionality. Please refer to following steps:

1.Setup the execution account in the Reporting Services Configuration Manager to run as an account of your choosing
    2.Grant this account admin permissions on your Analysis Services instance.
    3.setup roles for your users to be mapped to.
    4.Add users or groups to these roles
    5.setup the filters for the roles accordingly
    6.setup the shared data source for Analysis Services
    7.Create my shared dataset in Report Builder or SQL Server Data Tools

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by David.Squires Thursday, December 1, 2016 2:26 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hi David.Squires,

According to your description, you would like to use SSAS Tabular Data Model with Row Level Security in SSRS 2016 mobile reports, right?

Based on my research, if we are using SQL Server 2016 as our data source, we can take advantage of the new, built-in row-level security functionality. Please refer to following steps:

1.Setup the execution account in the Reporting Services Configuration Manager to run as an account of your choosing
    2.Grant this account admin permissions on your Analysis Services instance.
    3.setup roles for your users to be mapped to.
    4.Add users or groups to these roles
    5.setup the filters for the roles accordingly
    6.setup the shared data source for Analysis Services
    7.Create my shared dataset in Report Builder or SQL Server Data Tools

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by David.Squires Thursday, December 1, 2016 2:26 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 6:56 AM
  • This is pretty much it to get this to work. To add, when you setup the shared data source, we put in  service account credentials but also used the checkbox to "Log in using these credentials, but then try to impersonate the user viewing the report". 
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 2:29 PM