none
FSLogix Profile Container Question for Microsoft RDS/VDI RRS feed

• Question

• We are running a 300 or so user installation of RDS and using non-persistent Windows 10 Guests across several collections. It's all running on UCS and Windows 2012r2. We have a CPU cluster for hosting all the desktops and a mgmt cluster for hosting all the broker, rdweb, gateway, etc. We used UPDs in the past and had tons of issues with them and temp profiles so we fell back to using Roaming Profiles and Redirected folders. But as many know that has it's own issues that make them sub-optimal. So I have a few questions...

1. One of the selling points of FSLogix was being able to have multiple connections to a single profile, since with UPDs we had a lot of temp profile issues. However, it seems as though that this was more designed for Terminal Servers / Citrix than VDI - just wondering if VDI is a use case, and if so which option would be best to avoid temp profiles on non-persistent desktops? Mode 0, 1, 2, or 3?
    2. I've seen people recommending to use redirected folders for things like MyDocs, Desktop, etc. "so the VHDXs won't get too big" but this seems like a strange statement. I mean, what are the redirected folders stored on? Probably a file server that's virtual and as a result a VHDX... I mean you're still storing the files, why not keep them consolidated and use a single profile solution? Isn't that the point of FSLogix is to stop using the older profile technologies? In my case all this stuff will be on the same SAN underneath so separating it seems odd. The only upside I see might be that if a profile disk gets corrupted or messed up, the users desktop and other files won't be gone, and 'resetting' the profile would just be a matter of deleting the VHD without worrying about My Documents and Desktop file recovery.

I'm currently testing this solution with just myself and a few other IT folks, but I'm wanting to get some answers to these questions before I start testing with end users.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 6, 2020 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Considering that most Citrix VDA setup is non-persistent, FSLogix does indeed work with RDS VDIs as well. You will want to do a separate container per operating system, do not share a profile container between Windows 10 and Windows Server.

Regarding folder redirection, you are absolutely right. With FSLogix we do no longer have to consider large profiles affecting the logon performance, it doesn't matter if the profile container is 200MB in size og 10Gb in size, the logon performance is not affected at all. Some still do folder redirection of the documents folder to a home drive, mainly to be able to backup whatever files the user is working on. You can use OneDrive Known Folder Move instead, and put the users files and folder in OneDrive instead.

I have been working with FSLogix for about 5 years now, and I have only seen profile container corruption 2 times, both times was because of Citrix Profile Management not being disabled.

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 12:16 PM
  • We are not using any Azure or O365 and have only implemented Profile Containers (or that's what we are testing). People who are using VDI, which mode do they use? 0, 1, 2, or 3 generally? Mode 1 seems fine and I've tested that, but I wasn't sure which scenarios 2 and 3 would be for.

Thanks for your initial reply.

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 12:42 PM