none
Extensive Processing in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am developing a VSTO for MS Excel and I have to do a lot of import/ export of enormous amount of  data and in this case Excel sometimes hangs so I want to improve this process. So I wanted to get some input from you guys what and how to do it. I was thinking of using the mixture of Parallel and Asynchronous Programming. 

What are your thoughts, suggestion on it.

Thanks,

Attiqe Ur Rehman

Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hello Attiqe,

Office applications use Single Threaded Apartments (STA). So, they are not thread safe. If you need to run another threads - don't use the Excel object model in them. As a workaround you may consider using the Open XML SDK for generating documents in another threads and then opening the ready-made documents in Excel.

Finally, I'd suggest asking general Parallel and Asynchronous programming questions in the Visual C# or Visual Basic forums instead. There you will get the most qualified answers.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:12 PM

All replies

• Hello Attiqe,

Office applications use Single Threaded Apartments (STA). So, they are not thread safe. If you need to run another threads - don't use the Excel object model in them. As a workaround you may consider using the Open XML SDK for generating documents in another threads and then opening the ready-made documents in Excel.

Finally, I'd suggest asking general Parallel and Asynchronous programming questions in the Visual C# or Visual Basic forums instead. There you will get the most qualified answers.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:12 PM
  • Eugene,

That's exactly-Open XML SDK- what I am using now. Thanks for answer. 

Attiqe Ur Rehman

Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:31 PM