none
Office 2010 PIAs for Office 2010 Add-in project on 64bit version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an Add-In project created using Visual Studio 2008 which works perfectly with Office 2007, Office 2010(32-bit). We have used Office 2003 PIAs in the project. We need our Add-in to work on Office 2010(64-bit) as well, so we are porting our project to 64-bit. Do we need Office 2010 PIAs while porting? or need 64 bit Office 2003 PIAs? or the same Office 2003 PIAs will work. Please reply.

Thanks.

Friday, May 6, 2011 11:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please reply, if anyone done 64-bit porting on Win7 X64 for Outlook Add-in project.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hi Am,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Would you please clarify whether your target Outlook is 64-bit?

If you Outlook is 64-bit, it’s hard to reach your goal.

If you Outlook is 32-bit, it’s based on my experience that your add-in will work with 2003 PIA but you need to rewrite your registry hives on 64-bit Windows Operation System.

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

PS: You will learn more about 64-bit registry hive information in this http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2010/04/09/deploying-com-add-ins-for-64-bit-office-using-visual-studio-saaid-khan-for-nathan-halstead.aspx

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 9, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, our target Outlook is 64-Bit. Can you provide some details on what infrastructure required to run Outlook 2010 64-Bit Add-in perfectly on 64-Bit OS? I have listed some queries below, please have a look.

1. What version of PIAs required to work with Outlook 2010 (64-Bit)?

2. We are using Visual Studio Team system 2008 and targeting Framework 2.0 due to some other dependencies. Is the same platform work with Outlook 2010 or VS 2010 required?

3. Our current project targets VSTO 2005 SE. Do we need to move to VSTO V3 runtime to support Outlook 2010 64-Bit?

Thanks in advance.

Am

Monday, May 9, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Hi Am,

There has a very good reference which is written by Mary, please take a look http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/1666d2b0-a4d0-41e8-ad86-5eab3542de1e . In this thread, Mary list the details of VSTO prerequisites and a lot of references links. I think some of the references can guide you to your goal.

If you still have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 9, 2011 7:56 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your reply.

I think correct link was http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2008/02/19/deploying-prerequisites-for-your-visual-studio-tools-for-office-solution.aspx . Please let me know if I am wrong.

Let me assume the link you were referring is the same as mentioned by me above, it does not provide information about Office 2010 64-Bit. The questions are still unanswered:

1. What version of PIAs required to work with Outlook 2010 (64-Bit)?

2. We are using Visual Studio Team system 2008 and targeting Framework 2.0 due to some other dependencies. Is the same platform work with Outlook 2010 or VS 2010 required?

3. Our current project targets VSTO 2005 SE. Do we need to move to VSTO V3 runtime to support Outlook 2010 64-Bit?

Regards,

Am

Monday, May 9, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Hi Am,

Sorry for wrong link. I changed it to the correct in my post.

<<What version of PIA required to work with Outlook 2010 (64-bit)>>

The PIA will be installed when you install your Office System by default settings. So, I don’t think it is a problem.

<<We are using Visual Studio Team system 2008 and targeting FrameWork 2.0 due to some other dependencies. Is a the same platform work with Outlook 2010 or VS 2010 required?>>

As an add-in application, you add-in will work with Outlook 2010. If you want to transfer you project to Visual Studio 2010 the targeting FrameWork and some of the settings will be changed by Visual Studio 2010.

<<Our current project targets VSTO 2005 SE. Do we need to move to VSTO V3 runtime to support Outlook 2010 64-bit>>

I’m not sure about it, I would recommend you test it. And it’s based on my experience that you needn’t do that at all.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Hi Tom,

The link you provided redirects to the same page we are at. Please check again.

Thanks.

Regards,

Am

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:48 AM
  • Hi Am,

Please check http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/1666d2b0-a4d0-41e8-ad86-5eab3542de1e

I’m ensure I give the correct url in my post.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Am Del Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:27 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:29 AM