none
How to associate a PDP custom field with WORKFLOW SUBMIT button RRS feed

• Question

• ·         Hi everyone,

I have made a PDP in project server and included some custom field in it.One of the custom field have yes/no value. I have associated that PDP with a workflow stage. WHAT I NEED IS THAT if the user selects NO and submits , the workflow will not progress to the next stage. And if the user selects yes,and click submits,  it proceed to the next stage.IF anyone has any idea ,plz letme know,ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Monday, December 26, 2011 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi anuj,

The idea is quite simple. You need to implement in your workflow a loop activity, with a bool variable to check if the stage is approved or not. When you approve the workflow activity you can control it and change the value of the bool variable.

I don´t know if you got the idea. Let me know if you understood.

Best regards,

Miguel Soler
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Hi miguelet,

thanx for response;

I am new to share point development. I am not exactly clear of your idea.can you please elaborate it

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:29 AM
  • Anuj,

I wish I have time to elaborate those things... But I can give you some examples. The best example to implement approvals is the Branching Workflow http://nearbaseline.com.au/blog/2010/04/extending-the-branching-workflow-with-approvals/.

You can play with this example, changing approvals, and controling it deploying by Visual Studio.

To implement a loop action, you just have to drag and drop from the Visual Studio tool menu that action, and put inside a stage with the approval.

Hope that helps you.

Miguel Soler
    • Proposed as answer by Miguelet_ Saturday, December 31, 2011 9:42 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Hi Miguelet,

I just want to confirm that have you understand my exact condition,Actually there is a Custom field(CHOICE) having value YES/NO in my PDP Page.I have associated that PDP with a workflow stage,Now what i want is that WHEN THE USER SELECTS YES VALUE IN THAT CUSTOM FIELD,and click on SAVE button in the Ribbon; data on that pdp should get saved and Submit button should work in usual mannner(i.e when user clicks submit button,it should move to next stage)and when the user selects NO value in that custom field,and click on SAVE button in the Ribbon,data on pdp should get saved,but SUBMIT button should get disable or when the user clicks on submit button it should not move to Next stage

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Hi anuj,

As you are talking about workflow's flow change, here am not clear that you want to do this in your existing default workflow or you are creating new workflow through VS2010.

Your requirement will not work with Project server's default workflow (Sample Proposal, its compiled), for this you have to create new workflow, in your workflow you have to check the flag (Yes/No) of your custom field(based on 'MD_Prop_ID') and based on the flag you have to set "If..else" condition for the workflow.

Hope this will help, let me know for more clarification if you need.

Avinash kumar | e2eProjects Pvt. Ltd | Blog:http://om-avinash.blogspot.com

Friday, December 30, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Hi Avinash

Thanks for response,I need some more help from you, WHAT I HAVE UNDERSTOOD IS THAT You are saying that I have to Compare the flag(yes/no) with my Custom Field.ie if the value in custom field is Yes,then Flag should be yes,and if the value in custom field is No then flag should be no,and then after wards if-else condition.Can you please specify how can i perform this??i.e How will I compare my Custom field with Flag,Do I have to use the Name of Custom Field or some GUID of CUSTOM FIELD for comparison and What is this 'MD_Prop_ID'??

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 12:51 PM
  • Anuj,

You have to get the Guid of the Custom Field from the "Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup Tables" page from Server Settings. Afterwards you will have to compare it with the MD_Prop_ID.

Hope that helps,

Miguel Soler
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hi Miguelet,

Thanks for response,I am bit confused, can you please tell me what is this MD_Prop_ID ?Is this the Guid of Custom Field??and also  Do I have to compare Guid of custom field with Flag,and afterwards  I have to use IF_ELSE condition.

Hope that you have understood my confusion

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:10 AM