none
active directory backup and restore from Server 2000 to Sever 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am a person with no knowledge of AD.

My concern is as follows:

We have an AD configured on two different networks. The source is Windows Server 2000 and the target is Windows Server 2008 R2. We need to migrate the users from the source to target with all their attributes inclusing their password.

Please help me out by poiting me to some tools or some links for doing this.

Regards,

Sharath

sharath kumart shivarama
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I actually found out that it is possible to take backup of the Active Directory and migrate it to another server using the tools such as ADMT, LDIFDE utility and many more.

The important thing to note while using these tools is that they cannot migrate the Active Directory users along with the password.

In my case, we are migrating the Activee Directory users without passwords and we are resetting the user's password to some default password. This has actually led to one more difficulty which is we need to automatically generate the new password for the users and these passwords should not be same for all the users.

Is there any algorithms which we can use fro the automatic generation of the passwords.

Regards,

Sharath

sharath kumart shivarama
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:48 PM