How to create Windows 8 app with several human languges?

Question

• I'm creating now a Tic-Tac-Toe project and I want to do it in several human languages, for example one page in Chinese, one page in English and one page in Spanish.

I want the default language will be a few languages because I want my application  in Hebrew and English, Hebrew is right to left language so the back button should be right to left and English is the opposite, left to right, can I do something like that?

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 9:33 AM

Answers

• You probably can... but it's hard to comment without knowing more specifically what you want to do.

When you create an app in Visual Studio, it allows you to specify a default language. That is used as an ultimate fallback for your application resources (which language variant of a resource to display if the preferred language isn't available for a given resource). That's isn't the language that your app starts up in, however — what we refer to as the "app languages". The app language list (it's an ordered list) is determined by the intersection of the languages your app has resources for, and the languages in the user's language preferences; the ordering is determined by the user's preferences.

At runtime, if you need the language of a particular resource to be handled in a special way, different from the rest of your app, you can do that by creating an override ResourceContext and setting the language you need for that special scenario. To see an example of how this can be done, check out the Application Resources and Localization code sample:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Application-resources-and-cd0c6eaa

In particular, there's a scenario that illustrates setting a different language to get a particular resource (it's scenario 9 in the C# and C++ versions, scenario 11 in the JS version).

I'm not sure if that gives you some of the info you need. If not, please reply with more specifics.

- Peter

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:37 AM