none
ReportViewer returns 404 for axd resource RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a situation is driving me crazy for last 2 weeks:

I have develop an asp.net app (.net 2.0) which is meant to render a remote report using ReportViewer (I needed to work out the authentication thru code) and so far, it works great from the development environment.

I deployed to my Win2003 IIS6 webserver and, when I hit the URL for my asp.net page, it opens up properly the report, I can do export and all the fancy stuff RS allows you.

my final config is like this:

I have Apache proxing the request so I can hide the servers/services behind a single mask; this applies as well for my report links:

apache listens for https://myserver.com/content/reports/myreport.aspx and then, it uses proxypass to http://iisserver/reports/myreport.aspx

when I click on the link in Apache, the report returns data as normally would, HOWEVER, I can accross the issue that it doesn't render images neither the scripts that are managed by the .axd call (Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd), therefore, it's not working at 100%

While tracing the calls of the pages, I noticed I'm getting a 404 code for the call on the above axd... I've been struggling for days with it and haven't been able to find a solution.

Does anyone have an idea on what the issue might be? I've checked all the IIS mappings for axd, web.config and everything is fine (I guess it wouldn't work otherwise when directly calling the report), so my issue is when it goes thru Apache proxing.

Any help will be extremelly highly appreciate it.

Ruddy

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi everyone,

I have a situation is driving me crazy for last 2 weeks:

I have develop an asp.net app (.net 2.0) which is meant to render a remote report using ReportViewer (I needed to work out the authentication thru code) and so far, it works great from the development environment.

I deployed to my Win2003 IIS6 webserver and, when I hit the URL for my asp.net page, it opens up properly the report, I can do export and all the fancy stuff RS allows you.

my final config is like this:

I have Apache proxing the request so I can hide the servers/services behind a single mask; this applies as well for my report links:

apache listens for https://myserver.com/content/reports/myreport.aspx and then, it uses proxypass to http://iisserver/reports/myreport.aspx

when I click on the link in Apache, the report returns data as normally would, HOWEVER, I can accross the issue that it doesn't render images neither the scripts that are managed by the .axd call (Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd), therefore, it's not working at 100%

While tracing the calls of the pages, I noticed I'm getting a 404 code for the call on the above axd... I've been struggling for days with it and haven't been able to find a solution.

Does anyone have an idea on what the issue might be? I've checked all the IIS mappings for axd, web.config and everything is fine (I guess it wouldn't work otherwise when directly calling the report), so my issue is when it goes thru Apache proxing.

Any help will be extremelly highly appreciate it.

Ruddy

As additional info, I get a JS error "RSClientController" is undefined - which of course, it's coming from the fact that axd is not rendering images neither js files...
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:04 PM
  • Ok, some advances - I identified that when it's proxying, for some reason the URL is not properly built as it's missing a vdir portion (/Reports/) so reporting services is trying to render the axd from the root of the call and not from the virtual folder...

Looking into this and my first thinking is that I require a url rewrite module running on IIS so it can properly rewrite the uri when rendering... but, as of this moment, I'm just evaluating what tool to use on IIS6 - my first choice is IIRF, does anyone has experience on this?

Ruddy

Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:27 PM