none
Markdown preview pane failing to interpret HTML entities RRS feed

• Question

• I'm starting to edit a lot of markdown documents, and I'm recommending Visual Studio as a markdown editor/previewer to the people who do the writing. One writer reports that the preview pane doesn't interpret HTML entities. If he writes "find the &lt;div&gt; tag" the preview pane displays "find the &lt;div&gt; tag" instead of "find the <div> tag."

I told him that he probably clicked the wrong icon and opened a split editing pane instead of a preview pane. He says he didn't do that, and sent me a screen shot that proves he didn't.

I'm baffled. I can't reproduce this. Does anyone know what Visual Studio is doing, and how we can fix it?
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hi orthoducks,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

According to your description, I suppose this issue is about Markdown which is a third-party extension. So I recommend you post in Stack Overflow tagged markdown forum and start a new thread to get a better help.

If you have any other issues about the Visual Studio General Questions in the future, please kindly let us know.

Hoping everything goes well and thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Anna 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, April 10, 2020 3:07 AM
  • Anna, I think you have misunderstood my question. I and the content provider I'm trying to help are not using any of the extensions offered for markdown. We are using only the markdown support that is packaged with Visual Studio "out of the box" (to quote the Microsoft page that describes it).

See Markdown and Visual Studio Code.

Friday, April 10, 2020 8:33 PM
  • Don't you recognize that Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code are two very different things?

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Sunday, April 12, 2020 1:24 AM
    Sunday, April 12, 2020 1:23 AM
  • My apologies; I did not. I am indeed referring to Visual Studio Code. When I last worked with Microsoft tools Visual Studio Code did not exist, so the difference went right by me.

Everything else I said is correct. The link I cited as proof that the markdown editor is a core function is a Visual Studio Code link.

Monday, April 13, 2020 5:18 AM
  • Hi orthoducks,

Thanks for your feedback.

The VS Code you use is different from Visual Studio, since our forum is to discuss the Visual Studio IDE issues, I recommend you report it in the Stack Overview tagged visual-studio-code forum or GitHub repository where will provide you with a more professional help.

If you have any more Visual Studio General Questions in the future, please feel free to post in this forum.

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Anna

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 5:51 AM