SQL Server 2008 Schema design RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of a good resource for creating a SQL Server 2008 database schema for logical areas -- book, site, examples.. ?  I have looked at adventureworks but are there any other resources out there?  

Monday, May 17, 2010 3:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• BOL is a good resource, I think  you will need to made a decision based on your data and logical concept... What is your concern?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:59 AM
  • Currently our data spread is across multiple database.  We want to consolidate it into one database and use schemas.  And create a data layer using the entity framework.  All while keeping our production environment going.  

We have 2 sales divisions with different data and requirements and a call center.  So we could have 4 broad schemas .. admin, division1, division2, and callcenter.  Admin would contain employee info and the like from both divisions.  The call center handles calls from both divisions.  Or we could break down the schemas into person, sales, purchasing, etc as in the Adventurework examples. 

There are a lot of examples for database design generally but few examples of database designs using schemas.  So I don't know if it would be a good practice to use just 4 schemas.

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:43 PM