none
Entity Framework with Sql Compact 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

it's my first time with EF and SqlCompact

I have a strange problem, maybe for me that it's my first project with EF..I try to explane

In a table Product I have a property call ProductName (nChar (50))..when I get this property from, for example by a find by id, I get a string with 50 characters.

if I put on my report: ProductName = 'Bike' (4 characters)

I receve by EF : ProductName = 'Bike                ' (50 characters)

someone know why?

thanks

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Alessio;

If I understand the question correctly the reason why EF returns, 'Bike ' (50 characters), is that SQL defines nchar as a fixed length string and in your case it is set to 50. When data is stored in this field it is padded with blanks to give a total of 50 characters. When you query this field you will get all 50 characters. Use the Trim method to remove the unwanted spaces.

Fernando

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Use nvarchar(50) instead of nchar(50)

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Alessio;

If I understand the question correctly the reason why EF returns, 'Bike ' (50 characters), is that SQL defines nchar as a fixed length string and in your case it is set to 50. When data is stored in this field it is padded with blanks to give a total of 50 characters. When you query this field you will get all 50 characters. Use the Trim method to remove the unwanted spaces.

Fernando

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Use nvarchar(50) instead of nchar(50)

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:43 PM