How to uninstall metro style device app and the corresponding device metadata

Question

• I followed the instructions to install PrintWWADCA sample with VS11's Device Metadata authoring tool to my Win8 Developer Preview, it works great.

Now if I want to uninstall it, what should I do? By right-click mouse can uninstall metro style device app, but then the "More Settings" button from print application brings up a blank screen, not the original default one.

Manually remove the xxxx-devicemetatdata-ms from %ProgramData%Microsoft/Windows/DeviceMetadataStore or %ProgramData%Microsoft/Windows/DeviceMetadataCache seems not working.

Many thanks!!

spider

• Edited by edward ho Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:40 AM further info
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Spider,

I will look into this for you.

Best Wishes - Eric

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:55 PM
  • try uninstalling the printer and reinstalling, then possibly a restart if its still not back to normal
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Could you try this on the Consumer Preview?
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:45 AM
  • Eric,

Here're my steps in installing:

1.1. build the Metro Style device app and deploy it (locally)

1.2. using Device Metadata Wizard to create a corresponding devicemetadata-ms file and let Wizard to copy it to my system's local metadata store (%PROGRAMDATA%Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore\en-us)

It works fine.

For unistalling:

2.1. uninstall the Metro Style App (right click the tile and choose uninstall)

2.2. delete the devicemetadata-ms installed in step 1.2 from %PROGRAMDATA%Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore\en-us\ folder

After 2.1 and 2.2, the device app looks disappeared. But if i do step 1.1 again, device app then show up.

My question is : Since i have removed devicemetadata-ms from metadata store, why we can still see the device app when i reinstall app without reinstalling devicemetadata? Should i remove any other file(s) somewhere else?

This symptom can be seen in Release Preview (6.2.8400) too.

Thanks

spider

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Hi Eric, try removing from DeviceMetadataStore and DeviceMetadataCache as well.

Thanks

• Edited by SaiMm Monday, August 20, 2012 5:22 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 5:21 AM
  • Removing devicemetadata from DeviceMetadatStore and DeviceMetadaCache don't work for me. I can still see the device app when pressing "More settings" button from IE.

Thanks

spider

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:23 AM
  • It may be best to do a clean install...

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:45 PM