Developing services for PDA running WM2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I've read I can run MS Robotics Studio services on devices with Compact Framework 2.0 SP2. I own a device with Windows Mobile 2003 OS (not based on Windows CE 5.0), where I've installed .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2.

Then, I just wanted to know if somebody has run a robotics service successfully in devices with such characteristics, that is, Windows Mobile 2003 OS. I've somewhere read devices must be based on Windows CE 5.0 or above. The idea would be having a Roomba from iRobot that carries a PDA on its back. Do you think would be a good idea?

Thanks very much in advance.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:00 PM

Answers

• I you follow Olivier's instructions and run the dsshost then you should see a window come up on your PDA that looks like the one in his instructions and you can use the rocker switch (main keypad control on the PDA with left, right, up, down, etc.) to control the robot. You have to press the "Enter" key first, which on my PDA is in the center of the rocker.

Have you got a copy of the Windows Mobile Developer Power Toys? They include a command prompt for Pocket PCs and this makes life a lot easier. I just copied cmd.exe, shell.exe and console.dll to the \Windows folder from the Power Toys and then created a shortcut in the Programs folder in \Windows\Start Menu. You can launch a command prompt and then type in your dsshost command and actually see the output from dsshost. (It is very painful "typing" on a PDA, but it works.)

The Power Toys are available here, or if the URL does not work for you then go to the Microsoft downloads page and search for PPC Command Shell. There is only a version for ARM processors -- I forgot to mention that.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=74473fd6-1dcc-47aa-ab28-6a2b006edfe9&DisplayLang=en

As for using a PDA on an iCreate, yes that is a good idea. The problem is how to connect them together. Most PDAs these days do not have COM ports. So you need a PDA with Bluetooth built in and then get a RooTooth for the iCreate. It seems silly to use Bluetooth to connect over just a few centimeters, but it should work and the advantage is that the PDA is not phyiscally connected. You could walk around behind the iCreate for example with the PDA in your hand if you did not trust your program to avoid crashes :-)

Trevor

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:25 AM

All replies

• Why don't you try following the instructions that Olivier Bloch posted?

http://blogs.msdn.com/obloch/archive/2007/11/03/drive-a-boebot-from-a-windows-mobile-device-using-robotics-studio.aspx

They are for a Boe-Bot, but you should be able to modify them for any other Bluetooth robot.

I got it to work on a Dell Axim X50v running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, Version 4.21.1088 (build 14260.2.0.5) from 2004.

Trevor

P.S. If you are "listening" Olivier, it's a great little example that you developed!

Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:10 PM
  • Hi again Trevor,

Thanks for pointing me to Olivier Bloch's blog. I've followed other guide, concretely this MSDN article explaining how to develop DSS service for Windows CE based devices: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb483099.aspx

I've followed the article and succeed deploying the DSS service in my HP iPAQ h5500 device. However, I've run the DSS service in the device from VS2005 (as described in article), but don't know exactly what should happen now ....

Would be nice for us to place the PDA connected on the back of the iCreate (using serial communication I suppose) , and run the DSS service in the PDA. I suppose in this case we could build a DSS service for the PDA complex enough to make the iCreate platform navigate autonomously with the PDA on its back. This way we would not need any PC hosting DSS services, just the PDA and the iCreate platform.

I'll continue doing tests with services running in mobile devices cause we're very interested in hosting DSS services in smaller devices like PDAs or little boards like Gumstix, better than host them in the PC.

I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks very much in advance.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 12:31 PM
  • I you follow Olivier's instructions and run the dsshost then you should see a window come up on your PDA that looks like the one in his instructions and you can use the rocker switch (main keypad control on the PDA with left, right, up, down, etc.) to control the robot. You have to press the "Enter" key first, which on my PDA is in the center of the rocker.

Have you got a copy of the Windows Mobile Developer Power Toys? They include a command prompt for Pocket PCs and this makes life a lot easier. I just copied cmd.exe, shell.exe and console.dll to the \Windows folder from the Power Toys and then created a shortcut in the Programs folder in \Windows\Start Menu. You can launch a command prompt and then type in your dsshost command and actually see the output from dsshost. (It is very painful "typing" on a PDA, but it works.)

The Power Toys are available here, or if the URL does not work for you then go to the Microsoft downloads page and search for PPC Command Shell. There is only a version for ARM processors -- I forgot to mention that.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=74473fd6-1dcc-47aa-ab28-6a2b006edfe9&DisplayLang=en

As for using a PDA on an iCreate, yes that is a good idea. The problem is how to connect them together. Most PDAs these days do not have COM ports. So you need a PDA with Bluetooth built in and then get a RooTooth for the iCreate. It seems silly to use Bluetooth to connect over just a few centimeters, but it should work and the advantage is that the PDA is not phyiscally connected. You could walk around behind the iCreate for example with the PDA in your hand if you did not trust your program to avoid crashes :-)

Trevor

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:25 AM
  • Hi Trevor,

Thanks for pointing me to Windows Mobile Developer PowerToys. I've heard about them but never downloaded them.

Now I've installed them and run Command Shell for PocketPC. Really useful! I promise I'll try again the followed example and then will try Olivier's video....

Back to PDAs and wireless communications.......I've been reading many good things around Bluetooth BAM Module, and the distance of 100 meters has surprised me a lot. If that's real, maybe we can forget about using WIFI. The unique thing that worries me is the Bluetooth power consumption.

Before buying the module (really hot to buy it!), just wanted to get some feedback from anybody that has played with BAM module and PDAs. Any problems when pairing BAM to devices with PDA with different Bluetooth stacks? Some PDAs run Microsoft Bluetooth Stack; others (my iPAQ) carry Widcomm Bluetooth Stack. Maybe there are incompatibilities out there... Don't know, would also need some feedback around achieved distances, power consumption, all experiences with BAM Module and PDAs will be wellcomed.

And finally, I would really appreciate anybody pointing me to a reliable online shop where I can buy the BAM mobule. At the moment, checked this out: http://www.elementdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=44

And last question: which are the differences between the BAM Module and the RooTooth? Only visual appearance, that is, first one is a simple board without a box and RooTooth seems a little bit more professional, or at least, visually more attractive...

Thanks very much in advance.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 2:46 PM