none
Audio/Sound to play on other browsers RRS feed

• Question

• Am still trying to locate the correct forum for SharePoint Designer. Am a pensioner with limited computer experience and cannot understand why after, great efforts using SharePoint Designer to construct my web site at : http://www.defladermouse.co.uk  that AUDIO/SOUND does not play on any other browser other than IE. Please explain to me - in very simple language - what I am doing wrong? If you can resolve my problem, please let me have instructions in simple language to have all my constructions on SharePoint, back ground sound/audio play on other browsers like 'Safari' ' Firefox' etc. I do like SharePoint Designer and microsoft, as after so long building and constructing with it, will find it hard to change to another web builder and change all my web pages. Thanking you in advance of assistance, John
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, August 31, 2009 4:20 PM spd q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion)
    Monday, August 31, 2009 3:15 PM

Answers

• John,

As I understood that your site pages are designed using MS Frontpage and Sharepoint Designer, but the site is not actually built upon Sharepoint plat form (WSS/MOSS)

Though I would like to share few points to play the background music on multiple browsers, like IE, Firefox etc.

Background music usually needs a plugin to work in Mozilla browsers. The Windows Media Player plugin is designed to play Microsoft's proprietary audio formats such as Windows Media Audio (.wma) files, but not wav, .mid or .mp3 files. Internet Explorer does not use the Windows Media Player plugin instead it uses an ActiveX control which provides much more functionality than the plugin, for Mozilla Suite and Firefox users, Quicktime is often the required plugin. Make sure you have Quicktime installed and that the  Quicktime browser settings are configured to enable the plugin for the type of media the page uses.

To make your site play background music in Mozilla applications using the Windows Media Player plugin, add MIME type 'application/x-mplayer2', set height and width to '0' to hide it, and set the 'autostart' value to '1' for example:

<object data="music.mp3" type="application/x-mplayer2" width="0" height="0">
      <param name="filename" value="music.mp3">
      <param name="autostart" value="1">
      <param name="playcount" value="true">
    </object>
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Friday, September 4, 2009 9:38 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:11 PM

All replies

• The correct forum for SharePoint Designer is SharePoint - Design and Customization.

However it is unclear to me if you in addition to SharePoint Designer also have a SharePoint product such as WSS 3.0 or MOSS 2007 - one of these will be necessary in order to create a web site. Unlike FrontPath, SharePoint Designer is not a tool for creating sites.

Moving to the Design/Customization forum but please reply to the implicit question in the above paragraph.

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Thank you sir. I use SharePoint Design and Front Page (Have used) to create all my web pages - use Filezila to upload to my domain with 1and1 hosting. My web is: http://www.defladermouse.co.uk all created with SHAREPOINT design with some older pages from Front Page. I have animations etc and Sound 'Backgrounds' but they will not 'Sound/Audio play in other browsers like Safari etc. I HAVE USED SHAREPOINT to CREATE MY WEB PAGES and they are on line as you may see from going to my web site. As stated, am a pensioner with limited knowledge of computers - BUT I HAVE CREATED MY SITE WITH SHAREPOINT DESIGN and just that program now. So the question still remains - QQQQ why cannot I hear sound on other browsers other than IE - is this another microsoft invention to stop other browsers playing SharePoint Design? The solution please in simple everyday language to resolve why my CONSTRUCTED BY SHAREPOINT DESIGN - PAGES WITH SOUND/AUDIO dose not play on other browsers. Regards and thanks. John
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:52 PM
  • PS. I went to 'SharePoint Custom and Design and told there 'WRONG FORUM. John
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Hi. Am still trying to get some answers from Microsoft. Have constructed my web site (http://www.defladermouse.co.uk) using SharePoint Designer and (Front Page initially) many pages, uploading with 'Filezila, using my Domain Host '1and1. My site has Animations and Background sounds/audio. These sounds play without problem on all IE but WILL NOT PLAY ON ANY OTHER BROWSER like Firefox. Flock, Chrome etc. Am not greatly technically proficient and/or computer literate and a pensioner. It has taken me much time, trial and error to construct my web site. It is sad that friends and other internet users that have Firefox etc cannot view my SharePoint Design constructed site to the full :::minus sound/audio. Please assist and explain what I am doing wrong in SharePoint in SIMPLE LANGUAGE and possible resolve also in SIMPLE LANGUAGE? Thanks. Regards John
    • Merged by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:00 AM same poster same issue. don't create new threads!
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:06 AM
  • John,

As I understood that your site pages are designed using MS Frontpage and Sharepoint Designer, but the site is not actually built upon Sharepoint plat form (WSS/MOSS)

Though I would like to share few points to play the background music on multiple browsers, like IE, Firefox etc.

Background music usually needs a plugin to work in Mozilla browsers. The Windows Media Player plugin is designed to play Microsoft's proprietary audio formats such as Windows Media Audio (.wma) files, but not wav, .mid or .mp3 files. Internet Explorer does not use the Windows Media Player plugin instead it uses an ActiveX control which provides much more functionality than the plugin, for Mozilla Suite and Firefox users, Quicktime is often the required plugin. Make sure you have Quicktime installed and that the  Quicktime browser settings are configured to enable the plugin for the type of media the page uses.

To make your site play background music in Mozilla applications using the Windows Media Player plugin, add MIME type 'application/x-mplayer2', set height and width to '0' to hide it, and set the 'autostart' value to '1' for example:

<object data="music.mp3" type="application/x-mplayer2" width="0" height="0">
      <param name="filename" value="music.mp3">
      <param name="autostart" value="1">
      <param name="playcount" value="true">
    </object>
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Friday, September 4, 2009 9:38 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:11 PM
  • Hi SP Raj. Thanks for the reply. However, this is all too technical for a mere mortal, pensioner like myself. All I know is I have a web site working well using SharePoint Designer with animations and sound on IE (6.7.8.) There are many pages on my web and upload via Filezila and my Domain Host is 1and1. So I now give up and let the matter rest and those that are using other browsers than IE will not have sound. Too much is too much and cannot fully understand all the tech' talk. Thanks again and now let the matter rest as unsolved. Regards John -THE END
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:05 PM
  • John,

Don't give up send me your contact details through contact form on my blog, will try to fix the issues.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:25 PM