How to customize an IDE toolbar RRS feed

• Question

• Wow, this used to be so easy.  VS 2010 was a huge step backwards for toolbar customization.  How in the world do I get a toolbar button for the Standard toolbar's New Web Site "menu" button's "Open Web Site..."?

, Lee C.

, Lee
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:32 PM

All replies

• Tools->Customize, go to the Commands tab, choose the Standard toolbar from the toolbars combo, choose the Add Command button, locate the command you want in the dialog that pops up, choose ok.

Ryan

• Proposed as answer by Ryan MoldenMicrosoft employee Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by cichanlx Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by cichanlx Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by cichanlx Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by cichanlx Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Thanks, but you did not answer my question.  I cannot locate the "command" for VS 2008's "Open Web Site."  Does it even exist?

Here it is in 2008:

Here it is in 2010, but I want it promoted to the top level of the Standard toolbar.

, Lee C.

• Edited by cichanlx Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Yes.

Tools->Customize

Click on the Commands tab

Click on the Add Command button

Select the File category

Start typing Open (the listbox supports type ahead find)

The 5th item down from the first 'Open' match is Open Website.

Ryan

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:04 PM
  • Thanks, but I already looked there:

, Lee C.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:18 PM
  • What profile are you using?  Is this SP1?

Ryan

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Where can I find the profile information?

, Lee C.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:36 PM
  • It is the one you chose on first-launch.  It does appear to be SP1.  I thought there was a bug where if a profile removed a command then we would not show it in the customize dialog, but it is in my customize dialog on SP1.  So it may be the bug fix wasn't included in SP1 (sigh).  I use the General Profile normally, but I believe some profiles specifically remove commands.  You could do something hacky to 'force it'.  You could export your current settings somewhere, say your desktop, then hand add the proper Add cmd record to the customization XML file, then re-import the settings.

Ryan

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:39 PM
  • First launch was 715 days ago, so I have no recollection of my choice.  Apparently the UI is keeping it a big secret what I chose--and the MSDN help doesn't exist for 2010.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/6k364a7k(v=vs.100).aspx

If I log off now, I can stop running into issue on top of issue on top of issue.  If Microsoft would like me to come in and help out, I can get things back on track out there in Redmond.  Ugh.

, Lee C.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:56 PM
  • I'd log this issue in Connect, but it's 99.9999999999999999999% likely to be "Closed as By Design," so I won't waste my time.

FYI, I'd be willing to bet my life savings that I chose "Web Development," because I am a Web Developer, so it makes perfect sense that Visual Studio would withhold the 'Open Web Site...' button from me. Uuuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

, Lee C.

• Edited by cichanlx Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:05 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:01 PM