We couldn't get your developer license for WIndows 8 Error 0x800706BE: The remote procedure call failed

Question

• I installed Windows 8 Release Preview over Windows 7 Home Premium. I then installed Visual Studio 2012 RC. 

When trying to run my first app, it displayed the Window "Get a developer license for Windows 8". I clicked I Agree and received the following error in a dialog box:

We couldn't get your developer license for WIndows 8 Error 0x800706BE: The remote procedure call failed.

I also get the same error when trying to acquire a developer license through Windows PowerShell run as an administrator. I entered the command Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration.

I tried getting support from support.microsoft.com but they said it was MSDN that are working with these issues with Windows 8.

Has anybody else had this issue and if so how might I go about solving this problem as I really want to get developing asap.

Thanks

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:40 PM

All replies

• I installed Windows 8 Release Preview over Windows 7 Home Premium. I then installed Visual Studio 2012 RC. 

When trying to run my first app, it displayed the Window "Get a developer license for Windows 8". I clicked I Agree and received the following error in a dialog box:

We couldn't get your developer license for WIndows 8 Error 0x800706BE: The remote procedure call failed.

I also get the same error when trying to acquire a developer license through Windows PowerShell run as an administrator. I entered the command Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration.

I tried getting support from support.microsoft.com but they said it was MSDN that are working with these issues with Windows 8.

Has anybody else had this issue and if so how might I go about solving this problem as I really want to get developing asap.

Thanks

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Hello,

is there an internet proxy server that requires authentication involved in this situation?  Also, are there additional errors in the event logs

1. open the start menu
    2. type event viewer
    3. Select Settings
    4. click 'view event logs'
    5. Look in the Administrative Events Section (under Custom Views)
    6. Look for a Error Entry with a source of 'Store-Licensing'
    7. Open up the entry
    8. Click Details
    9. Switch to XML View

much appreciated,

mike

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I don't believe I have any internet proxy server in use. I use o2 3g mobile broadband.

There is a number of errors with a source of 'Store-Licensing'. ID's are 184 and 258. Also some warnings with ID 264.

When I click Details, Event Viewer stops responding. 

Thanks,

Jeremy

Saturday, June 16, 2012 2:06 AM
  • Looks like a connectivity problem. Can you share your logs so that we can look into it?  The logs would be found at: %temp%\winstore.log

In the mean time if you have the option to connect via some other method - via WiFi for example, or a wired network connection, you might be able to work around that.

Monday, June 18, 2012 10:51 PM
  • Hi Alwin,

I don't have access to WiFi or a wired connection unfortunately. My logs won't fit here. Is there an e-mail address I can send the log to or a way I can attach them here in the forums?

Does anybody know if there is a way to download a developer license on another machine and install it via a USB or something like that?

Thanks, Jeremy

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:11 PM
  • You can send them to my alias at Microsoft: alwinv and we'll take a look.

There is no dis-connected way to acquire a developer license right now.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:59 PM
  • I found your profile. There doesn't seem to be a link on your profile to contact you though. Is there an alternative way to send it on to you or have you a link where i can contact you?

Thanks, Jeremy

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Hi Jeremy,

if the zipped up logs are less than 10 megs, then you can attach to an email and send it to either me at mikewong at microsoft.com replace at with the @ symbol and no spaces. or to alwinv above using the same syntax.  If the zipped up logs are greater than 10 megs, email me and I will give you an upload location. 

much appreciated,

mike

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I'm forwarding the logs on now.

Thanks, Jeremy

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Having the same problem. I am using Internet at home and there is no proxy server involved. Please enlighten me how to fix this problem?

- a citizen of Microsoft Developer Network.

Monday, October 15, 2012 11:42 PM
  • Hi McCoy,

Are you having problems with Internet Explorer as well?

I was missing some files for IE to run properly and these libraries are required for a window to launch in Visual Studio. 

Thanks,

Jeremy

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Hi JermzF,

The IE10 is working without any issues. I setup a new local account on Windows 8 and tried to get the license but no luck.. got the same error :(

Is there a workaround? Such as; if I ask a friend of mine to create an account in his PC, create a Windows Store project and push it to the TFS server... Can I work on the team project without license or would I have to get the developer license installed in my box?

I thought I would make this cards game in 10 days (before 25th Oct) and publish on Windows Store to win the Samsung 7 series tablet/slate. But apparently I cannot even initiate the development due to this lousy issue...  :(

When I start the project without the license, the XAML design mode thows an error in both Visual Studio and Expression Blend:

System.Exception
    Package failed updates, dependency or conflict validation. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF3)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, FrameworkName targetFramework, String identifier, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<StartTask>b__6()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

- a citizen of Microsoft Developer Network.

• Edited by Real McCoy Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:03 PM
  • hey Real McCoy ,Do you fixed a problem  . Can you tall me the way to fix it.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Check whether your Windows 8 app (application type News. Sports etc.) to the Internet. If the application can walk, and be able to get a license. To obtain a license to use Proxy server'a read here (http://lev-ponomarev.blogspot.ru/2012/12/cant-get-developer-license-on-installed.html)
    • Proposed as answer by LevPonomarev Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:34 AM
  • Besides other technical issues, if you are running the pirated version of Windows 8 (or Windows 8 pro), then the server will deny your request for developer license.

Make sure you get that straight. You have to pay for Windows license to get the free Windows Store's developer license.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:32 AM