Acropolis Themes RRS feed

• Question

• Just thought I'd let you all know that although the documentation states that the only availble theme in the current CTP is the Microsoft Acropolis Theme, the Theme library does  have other themes defined.  These include Microsoft Acropolis Sepia Theme, Windows Classic Theme, Windows XP Theme and Windows Vista Theme.  It does appear that the Winows ... themes are not fully implemented as yet, but they can be used to give you an idea of the theming process.  You can change your theme by setting the Theme attribute of the Application element. e.g

Code Snippet

<AcropolisApplication x:Class="RssReader.Application"
      xmlns="clr-namespace:Microsoft.Acropolis.Windows;assembly=Microsoft.Acropolis.Windows"
      xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
      xmlns:Acx="clr-namespace:Microsoft.Acropolis.CommonFx;assembly=Microsoft.Acropolis.CommonFx"
      xmlns:Afx="clr-namespace:Microsoft.Acropolis.PartFx;assembly=Microsoft.Acropolis.PartFx"
      Theme="Microsoft Acropolis Sepia Theme"
      StartupUri="Window1.xaml">

I'll be interested to find out more about plugging in your own Themes.  The way that the Themes are currently designed does not appear to be ideal.  The Acropolis and Acropolis Sepia themes are distinct classes, and do not differ greatly, apart from loading a different xaml resource dictionary from an embedded resource.  If each theme class is implemented like this, I can envisage the theme assembly soon becoming very large.  It seems as though much of the code could be handled by a generic helper class?  Wouldn't it also be more efficient to use a pluggin type approach, and separate out the themes in to different assemblies?

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 2:07 PM

Answers

• Great observation Steve. I have a post on my blog http://blogs.msdn.com/kathykam in the queue just to talk about these extra themes. Smile

They were not included in the Wizard because, as you probably noticed, they were not finalized. Given our time, we decided to focus our efforts on polishing one theme only. My team or I will post about plugging in your own themes on CTP1 bits shortly, but your obersvation about the growing assembly size is correct. My development team is actually working on centralizing the functionality and pulling that back into Microsoft.Windows.Acropolis.dll as we speak. Our goal is to only require the resource dictionary allowing you to theme your own applictaion. You should see improvements in later CTP releases.

Thanks,

Kathy

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:04 PM

All replies

• Great observation Steve. I have a post on my blog http://blogs.msdn.com/kathykam in the queue just to talk about these extra themes. Smile

They were not included in the Wizard because, as you probably noticed, they were not finalized. Given our time, we decided to focus our efforts on polishing one theme only. My team or I will post about plugging in your own themes on CTP1 bits shortly, but your obersvation about the growing assembly size is correct. My development team is actually working on centralizing the functionality and pulling that back into Microsoft.Windows.Acropolis.dll as we speak. Our goal is to only require the resource dictionary allowing you to theme your own applictaion. You should see improvements in later CTP releases.

Thanks,

Kathy

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:04 PM
  • For CTP2, we moved the code out of the themes and into the controls themselves
    Monday, July 16, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Please elaborate.

Thanks

AllTec

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:36 PM
  • There used to be code in the themes files that dealt with Commands and View Selection on the Chrome, this code is now part of the PartPane so it's no longer necessary to duplicate it when creating a custom theme
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:38 PM