none
A value for 'VsixPackage' needs to be specified in the catalog. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

when trying to install a VSIX package, I get this:

07/08/2019 13:10:59 - Beginning to install extension to Visual Studio Enterprise 2019 Preview... 07/08/2019 13:11:02 - Install Error : System.InvalidOperationException: A value for 'VsixPackage' needs to be specified in the catalog. at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.PackageInstaller.Validate(ZipPackage packageContainer, IEngineHost engineHost) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.DefaultPackageInstaller.Validate(ZipPackage packageContainer, IEngineHost engineHost) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.PerformSetupEngineInstall(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, Boolean installPerMachine, Boolean isPackComponent, IDictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, IInstalledExtensionList modifiedInstalledExtensionsList, IProgress`1 progress, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp, Version targetedVsVersion, IInstalledExtension& newExtension) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.InstallInternal(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, InstallFlags installFlags, IDictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, IInstalledExtensionList modifiedInstalledExtensionsList, AsyncOperation asyncOp, IProgress`1 progress, Version targetedVsVersion) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.BeginInstall(IInstallableExtension installableExtension, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp, Version targetedVsVersion) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.InstallWorker(IInstallableExtension extension, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp)

The VSIX is generated during build and based on VS 2017 templates. Does anyone know what this error means or if there is an easy fix?

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 12:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Jan,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

About the error message: A value for 'VsixPackage' needs to be specified in the catalog.

I think it indicates some parameter in your catalog.json file has invalid value. Catalog.json is included in generated .vsix package. please see this document. I assume you may have some invalid values or settings in .vsixmanifest file when developing it. So the generated catalog.json file has some invalid value, which causes the failure of the installation.

Similar issue with similar error message see this link. Once github extension has a similar issue, but i can't reproduce the issue in my machine. So please do some tests to do trouble-shooting:

1. Install the extension in VS2017, what's the result?

2. Install other third-party extension, can it succeed?

3. Create a new project with similar structure and content in .vsixmanifest file, same issue persists?

Please check these points to locate the cause of the issue. Hope it helps. 

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jan Kučera Friday, August 9, 2019 10:31 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Jan,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

About the error message: A value for 'VsixPackage' needs to be specified in the catalog.

I think it indicates some parameter in your catalog.json file has invalid value. Catalog.json is included in generated .vsix package. please see this document. I assume you may have some invalid values or settings in .vsixmanifest file when developing it. So the generated catalog.json file has some invalid value, which causes the failure of the installation.

Similar issue with similar error message see this link. Once github extension has a similar issue, but i can't reproduce the issue in my machine. So please do some tests to do trouble-shooting:

1. Install the extension in VS2017, what's the result?

2. Install other third-party extension, can it succeed?

3. Create a new project with similar structure and content in .vsixmanifest file, same issue persists?

Please check these points to locate the cause of the issue. Hope it helps. 

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jan Kučera Friday, August 9, 2019 10:31 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:44 AM
  • Thank you Lance,

is there any documentation for the catalog.json file?

Thanks,
    Jan

Thursday, August 8, 2019 10:13 AM
  • Hi Jan,

Sorry for the delay in reply. But I haven't found documents about the catalog.json file. You can send feedback by the bottom button of this page to require documents about this topic.

Also, since it's a installation issue. You can try to locate the issue by comparing the difference between current extension and other simple extension, I think the issue may result from the content in .vsixmanifest file.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Friday, August 9, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi Lance, thank you for your response. Pointing out that the catalog is actually catalog.json file in the VSIX package helped me resolve the issue. After bringing it (and manifest.json) on pair with the xml manifest, the extension installed correctly.
    Friday, August 9, 2019 10:33 AM