none
How Can I Move a Hard Drive to Different MOBO (MotherBoard), WITHOUT reformatting OS disks? Someone has ideas on how this can be done! I know it.... RRS feed

• Question

• Is some away I can successfully move my 2-Terabyte HDD containing Win7 & Win2k8r2sp1 OS files to a new Hardware setup:

1. WITHOUT having to reformat the system and/or OS drives/Partition or Tables?
    (ie..Different Chipsets / Processors / & SATA  Host Controller / Drivers, as-well-as Diff Front side bus speed / RAM speed & type ie.. from ecc registered DDR2 to DDR3 non-ecc UN-bufferd)

I'm not sure if this has to do with SATA controller drivers or what... But I have heard the horror stories about BSOD's after moving. I really need to come up with a plan of attack before I jump in. Its hard to even know what angle to attack this from, without already knowing the exact cause of the foreseen difficulties.

I Bought the new MOBO, RAM, Case & CPU. But fear I'll be forced to format my Data or loose some vital OS files. My "program files" and pictures are Priceless to me.

I am familiar with .vhd, and native booting, as well as diskpart & cmd lines.
    Is there some way that I can successfully Move my HDD to a new MOBO setup???    !Please please Ideas Please! My first thought is to try one of the following:

A.)An emulator Possibly, or even a .VHD setup of some kind, that allows emulating my current drivers on the new hardware setup.....

B.)Strip out chipset or controller drives from within a PE environment with the Windows-Directories not active or/running...& then manually loading new controller drivers, or....

C.)Cloning to a disk formatted by the system containing the new MOBO, OR..........!!

D.)Clone over the network but to diff hardware with some program I haven't heard of....Or.....

E.)Using My PCIe Raid card as a go-between? (Currently I use Raid1 on two identical 80Gb SATAs for my win2k8r2 OS), perhaps I wont have to reformat? instead i'll have to preform something like"attaching a foreign disk"??

ANY Ideas are most welcome. I know I'm grabbing for straws here. But COME ON! One of us must have some knowledge of that sort!
    Any Comments thoughts or Suggestions are always welcome.....

PS
    I am fully backed up with Norton Ghost 15. I also have Images created by "windows 7 backup" and "Sever backup" images are on a storage drive. I did used NGH15 to do a one time convertion to .vhd !!! I don't have that "Restore Anywhere" option. I'll look into it. My Norton 360 only offers 2.0Gb online storage.

I'm still worried!!!
    I can clone with Acronis as well as NGH15
    I have NGH10.1 on Hirens PE CD/DVD. (for the offline approach)

I've got to find some way to Retain my OS and Program Files. Without being forced to reformat the OS Disks?

Can I Move a Hard Drive to Different MOBO (MotherBoard), WITHOUT reformatting the OS disks? Someone must have ideas on how this can be done!

Sincerely, YOUR_FRIENDLY_BLS_SERVICE_PROVIDER

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I can't see a link between your specific support question and the Windows Performance Toolkit (WPT).
    Please don't expect to get support for your issue at this forum.

Best regards

RPA

Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I can't see a link between your specific support question and the Windows Performance Toolkit (WPT).
    Please don't expect to get support for your issue at this forum.

Best regards

RPA

Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:23 PM
  • My intent was to ask this question in a place where the readers would have a fundamental knowledge of the subject-matter. To me, "Windows Performance Toolkit" (WPT) seemed a valid place to find members with an intimate understanding of Server based OS's. Fortunately I was able to find the answer to my question elsewhere.

My sincerest apologies for posting this question in an inappropriate location.  

However, Given that so far there have been 426 views and counting of this thread, with only one reply. It would seem that others are interested in accomplishing  this same goal, and are actively seeking the same answers. Unfortunately no one here was able to provide addition insight. Because I am unable to delete my question, and have already found the answer by posing this same question in appropriate forum locations, Below I will provide a link to the sites containing the answers.

(Tutorial for moving an OS HDD to new hardware)

or cut and paste "http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html" without the "".

(Forum Discussions, Preparations, Precautions, and Implementation step by steps)

or cut and paste "http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2103&p=9634#p9634" without the "".

Please feel free to contact me for help regarding this matter.

Sincerely, 

Sincerely, YOUR_FRIENDLY_BLS_SERVICE_PROVIDER

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:42 PM