none
Object reference not set to an instance of an object RRS feed

• Question

• First, I am not a prgrammer, nor am involved in writing code.  I am just a MS user, with continuously repeating installation problems for a number of completely unrelated programs. 

These attempted program installs, result in the same error : "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." There is also a notation of a "NULL Reference(0)".  All the available online guidance has dealt with correcting the coding errors by programmers.

The current Windows set up includes:

Dell Dimension (2003), running XP Pro SP3, 3.0 cpu, 4 gb ram

.NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 sp2, 3.0 sp2, 3.5 sp1, 4.0 Client Profile, 4.0 Extended

MS Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime

MS Report Viewer Redistributable 2005

MS Silverlight

MS Visual C++ Redistributable 2005, 2008 + 2010

How may the error be corrected?  Is there any additional MS software which shold be downloaded to address these repeated errors?  I am at a complete loss and would appreciate any assistance.

To date, the only advice has been to replace the XP Pro sp3 OS and install a more updated OS.  Unfortunately, we are a very small company and virtually all of our software applications would also require replacement, making this upgrade economically impossible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thaks for being patience with a complete novice.

• Edited by mmfalcon Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Your issue looks strange. Since you have posted in this forum, I will help check if the .NET Framework in your machine is ok. To isolate the issue of .NET Framework, please use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool. This .NET Framework setup verification tool is designed to automatically perform a set of steps to verify the installation state of one or more versions of the .NET Framework on a computer.  It will verify the presence of files, directories, registry keys and values for the .NET Framework.  It will also verify that simple applications that use the .NET Framework can be run correctly. How to get and how to use it, please refer to the blog below.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

If the verification tool finds any issues, there is a .NET Framework Repair Tool that can be found at the following locations:

What's more, I guess it may also a system issue. You can try running sfc /scannow command line to repair the system file to see if it helps.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:27 AM