What kind of modeling tools you are using? RRS feed

• Question

• I belive that a lot of DB designers have same issue like I. I hate when I need to go out of "mother" enviroment (SSMS) and create relational (or ER) modelt of database, then create DDL script for target RDBMS, in our case SQL Server. I had try: Visio, ERwin Modelere and some other tool, but always something is missing. It is not SQL Server logic, you need to learn new GUI, two or more application ..but one goal....list gose one.

1. What is your expiriece about it?

In other hand SQL Server have Database Diagrams. But when you use it, automatcly starts to create real objects. Now I dont talk about that there is no shema coloring in diagrams, reverers engeniring back and forward...I realy miss a engineering part in SSMS.

2. How is your opinion on this?
    ____________________________________ Jasmin Azemovic PhD candidate , SQL Server MVP, MCT
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• You may wish to expore Visual Studio Team System -Database Edition (now included with Dev Edition)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa833220.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/teamsystem/default.mspx

Yes, you have to purchase and license another product. As you would with all other 'industrial strength' design and modeling tools. And you get so much more...
    "You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:27 PM
    Answerer
  • I would find it difficult to work on anything but a very simple database development project without a data modeling tool. It is true that you need to spend the time to learn how to use it (possibly more than once if you are consulting - different organizations have different standards), but in my opinion, it is well worth it. The benefits of using a data modeling tool are better understanding of your design, faster development, fewer errors, to name just a few. Most tools will also provide the ability to create a conceptual DBMS-independent model in addition to the physical DBMS-specific model (and synchronize the two), which lets you abstract away physical implementation details and concentrate on logical design. Another feature found in some tools is the ability to create a data dictionary within the model, so that the model can effectively contain complete documentation of the design.

I have used ER Studio, ERwin, and Power Designer (in order of my personal preference). Every one of them is quite usable in practice, even though you may occasionally run into a problem where the DBMS objects created by the tool are in some way different from your intent in the model. It will take some time to learn these shortcomings, different for each tool, and come up with workarounds. While it is annoying to run into these, the benefits far outweigh the occasional annoyance, so I'd still very much recommend using a data modeling tool in your database design work.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:05 PM
  • I agree, that for anything other than a very simple database a modeling tool is a necessity. I've used ERwin in the past, and for the past two years or so have been very happy with ModelRight.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:38 PM