none
Hebrew fonts on cell phone HTC HD2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I bought cell phone HTC HD2 in USA. The phone has Windows Mobile 6.5 OS. I want to install Hebrew fonts there (not system fonts, but be able read and write SMS and email in Hebrew).

How can I do it?

Regards, Stanislav

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:12 AM

All replies

• Please try one of the Windows CE forums: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsembeddedcompact, which might be able to answer your question.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:54 PM
  • I'm not sure that installing the fonts is going to help. Wouldn't you have to change the font used by various applications in order for the display to work? And wouldn't right-to-left text be rendered incorrectly for you, even if the characters were displayed correctly in the font? You should be able to copy any TrueType font to the \Windows\Fonts folder, do a soft reboot of the device, and try it.

There are also third-party add-ons for Windows Mobile that really try to make it Hebrew compatible. One of those would be more likely to succeed if still available.

Paul T.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Hello Sean,

Thanks for an information. Unfortunately you pointed me to huge forums and I could not find any valuable answer there.

Could you explain me what should I do in order to see SMS's that sent to me in Hebrew fonts on my cell phone? And create SMS in Hebrew foints?

I mean some cheat sheet and not pointer to discussion?

Probably do you know email of such person from Microsoft?

Thanks in advance.  Stanislav.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Hmmm. So why doesn't Microsoft simply answer your question? Because Microsoft does not manufacture the Windows CE device. In fact Microsoft does not manufacture the operating system on the device either. The device manufacturer customizes Windows CE for their hardware implementing (or not) many of the capabilities that come in every Windows desktop box. If they did not include support a Hebrew font, there's a good chance that they did not include support for right-to-left writing systems. If not, you'll need a lot more than a font.

Paul T.

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:47 PM
  • I contacted the manufacturer (HTC) and they said to contact Microsoft for this matter. However I have not succeeded to get anwer from Microsoft Support center. They do not know how to contact Microsoft technical expert and suggested just ask in forum. Look like Microsoft has serious logistic hole here. I don't know whether it is done intentionally or not...

Stanislav.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:25 PM
  • HTC has definitely misdirected you but that doesn't help, of course. Your best course of action is to a) try it, b) look for the RTL/Hebrew packages I mentioned, and c) reflect back to HTC that this is an issue with their device not the operating system.

Paul T.

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:10 PM