none
Application Insights data retention RRS feed

• Question

• The new Application Insights pricing model (released in April 2018) refers to the Azure Log Analytics pricing page for ingestion.  I understand the ingestion pricing, but the Log Analytics page indicates there is a cost for data retention after 31 days.  Does that apply to Application Insights as well?
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Doug,

Currently Application Insights retention is fixed at 90 days, but variable retention for Application Insights is on the plan. You can track it's progress at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-application-insights/suggestions/17454031.

Thanks

Dale

• Marked as answer by DougMarston Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:19 PM
    Saturday, June 23, 2018 1:38 AM
  • Application Insights is a part of Azure Monitor, but of course you can use Application Insights without using other parts of Azure Monitor. 
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Doug,

Currently Application Insights retention is fixed at 90 days, but variable retention for Application Insights is on the plan. You can track it's progress at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-application-insights/suggestions/17454031.

Thanks

Dale

• Marked as answer by DougMarston Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:19 PM
    Saturday, June 23, 2018 1:38 AM
  • hi, 

What does that $0.13 per GB mean in this table? In the note it says “Every GB of data ingested by Application Insights is retained at no charge for 90 days.” what if the data ingested is more than 1GB?

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 5:29 AM
  • Hello Titse, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

• If you still want to keep the data beyond 90 days, then you start to pay for it and that's where the 0.13$ per GB comes into play. 
    • Also we had a discussion with internal team here to modify the Statement in the doc to mention $0.13 per GB per Month instead of just 0.13$ per GB.

Please go through this Doc for more info - Data Retention in Azure App Insights.

I hope this information helps. 

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 3:40 PM
    Owner
  • hi, 

thanks for the reply. I have a follow up question. If I am still within the 90 days period but I need to store more than 15GB of data, is the cost 0.13 times the number of additional GB of data?

Thanks,

Ting 

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 6:33 PM
  • Hello Ting,

Please go through the above answer as I modified couple of things.

And For the data retention, there is no charge for the first 90Days regardless of how much ever data you may have.

I hope this information helps.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:09 PM
    Owner
  • hi Monika this is very helpful. Thank you.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:52 PM
  • Hello Ting, 

I am glad I was able to help resolve your questions. 

Please Do "Mark as Answer" and "Upvote" on the post that helped you answer the question, so it can be beneficial to the community. 

--------------

• Proposed as answer by Titse Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:46 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 7:16 PM
    Owner
  • hi, 

I have one more question. 

Can customer purchase Application Insight only? or customer has to buy Azure monitor to get Application Insight?

I didn't see standalone pricing for Application Insight.

thanks,

Ting

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:50 PM
  • Application Insights is a part of Azure Monitor, but of course you can use Application Insights without using other parts of Azure Monitor. 
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 4:51 PM
  • hi Dale, 

Can I use one Azure monitor to ingest data for Application Insight across two subscriptions? or I need two have two Azure monitor for two subscriptions? 

In addition, in the chart in the "data ingestion" row it says 5GB per customer per month. What does that per customer mean? Is my company counted as one customer?  

Thanks,

Ting

Monday, December 2, 2019 11:07 PM
  • hi, 

can I get a answer for above questions? Thanks!

Ting

Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:07 PM
  • Hello Titse, 

Apologies for the delay in response. 

• Question 1 - Yes, you can use One Azure Monitor to ingest data for Application Insights across two subscriptions. 

•  Question 2 - Its a company wide, so yes, company is counted as one Customer. 

I hope this answers your questions and I hope this information helps. 

--------------------------

Instead of clicking "Propose as Answer" Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable., so the community can benefit from it Thanks!

Monday, December 9, 2019 11:40 PM
    Owner
  • hi, 

for the Question 2, 

so that free 5GB data ingestion per month is not per subscription? if I have two subscriptions I still get 5GB free not 10G?

Thanks,

Ting

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:56 PM
  • Hello Titse,

Yes you are correct, you will get 5GB total since its unrelated to subscription. 

---------------

Thanks

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:36 PM
    Owner
  • To be more specific, the 5 GB per month which is granted for using Azure Monitor Logs (via Application Insights or Log Analytics) is per customer (or more specifically per organization). 
    • Proposed as answer by Titse Wednesday, December 11, 2019 11:38 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:16 PM