Windows 8 tablet hardware

Question

• What is the best, currently available, tablet to run Windows 8 on?

One that Windows 8 can be installed on, of course, as I understand updating the OS on a tablet is not as straightforward as on a regular PC.

I've read about the Samsung 7 Slate, which looks like an excellent tablet. But I have now idea when it will be available and if it is upgradeable to Windows 8.

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• I'm running it on my Acer Iconia W500, which originally shipped with Windows 7. The Windows 7 drivers from Acer work fine with Windows 8 Developer Preview, and it actually runs much faster than it did with Windows 7. It's a fairly low spec tablet compared to the Samsung - 1GHz AMD C-50, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 11:28 AM
  • That sounds promising! I also looked into that tablet. Best part of it is that I can have one now :-P. And it is about half as expensive as the Samsung. But I'd rather wait a little, and spend some more money, to have a more capable device.

So how did you update your tablet to Windows 8? Did you connect an external drive or put the iso on an SD?

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:56 AM
  • I connected an external DVD drive via USB and ran the Windows 8 setup.exe from the disc, within Windows 7. It took just under an hour to install. SD card may be another option, but I've never tried booting from SD card yet so I can't say for sure it'll work.

• Proposed as answer by whiteRaccoon Friday, September 16, 2011 12:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by whiteRaccoon Friday, September 16, 2011 12:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Codeblack.nl Friday, September 16, 2011 1:06 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Codeblack.nl Friday, September 16, 2011 1:18 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:52 PM
  • I'd suggest a convertible tablet so you would have access to all input modes....
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Great answers for getting Windows 8 on a tablet :-). Any more suggestions on tablet hardware?
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:20 PM
  • I'd suggest a convertible tablet so you would have access to all input modes....

No reason you can't plug in a keyboard and a mouse.

I've had two different convertibles, and a slate Tablet PC, and I much prefer the form factor of the Slate.  I mean, think about it, why would you want to carry around a keyboard constantly when you don't actually need it all the time?

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Any thoughts on whether you could install Win8 on a Notion Ink Adam tablet? I'm not too impressed with the native Android OS but I'm wondering about drivers, etc. Should I just try it and see what happens?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:15 AM
  • On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 01:15:40 +0000, invisibleman22015 wrote:

Any thoughts on whether you could install Win8 on a Notion Ink Adam tablet? I'm not too impressed with the native Android OS but I'm wondering about drivers, etc. Should I just try it and see what happens?

Don't waste your time. The current DP only works on the x86/x64
    architecture. Your tablet uses an ARM CPU.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    The moving cursor prints, and having printed, blinks on.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:39 AM
  • I was looking at the Lenovo ones but I am waiting confirmations about the screen resolution.

Right now I am running W8 on a Toshiba M400 Convertible Tablet and works great.

Of course the device max resolution is 1280x768 so it is not optimized for W8 and it is not Touch friendly.

I ditched my laptop and jumped in Tablet wagon since the XP Tablet OS became available and I never looked back; personally I prefer the convertible option because, as I said, I use the device as a replacement of the laptop and I found the Convertible  format more useful than the Slate one but this depends on personal preferences/ needs.

If you could hold a little bit longer I am sure that a lot of new models, not only fully compatible with W8 specs but actually engineered based on the OS specs will be announced. Personally this is what I will do.

Have  a nice week-end

Fritzly

Fritzly
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:36 AM
  • On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 01:15:40 +0000, invisibleman22015 wrote:

Any thoughts on whether you could install Win8 on a Notion Ink Adam tablet? I'm not too impressed with the native Android OS but I'm wondering about drivers, etc. Should I just try it and see what happens?

Don't waste your time. The current DP only works on the x86/x64
    architecture. Your tablet uses an ARM CPU.

Paul Adare
    The moving cursor prints, and having printed, blinks on.

Thank you. Do you know if MS is planning to expand Win8 to make it compatible with an ARM CPU?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:06 PM
  • On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:06:49 +0000, invisibleman22015 wrote:

Thank you. Do you know if MS is planning to expand Win8 to make it compatible with an ARM CPU?

Yes, this has been all over the news and various web sites since Windows 8
    was first announced.

Paul Adare
    Any program that runs right is obsolete.

Monday, September 19, 2011 11:23 AM
    • Edited by MortenG Monday, September 19, 2011 1:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Codeblack.nl Monday, September 19, 2011 1:33 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Thanks, that's really helpful! And the new Samsung Series 7 Slate (Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A) is in the list :-D. According to some reviews (like this one) it will be available 'starting October 2, 2011'. I think I can wait that much, although it will probably be a little longer before it's available to me...

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:39 PM
  • I am getting an Acer Iconia W500 soon, and wanted to try Windows 8.  When creating the SD card insaller, can I just run it from the SD card?  I did not want to over write the original Wndows 7.  I want the tablet to return to stock if the SD card is removed and restarted?   Any help?

Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:57 PM
  • I am getting an Acer Iconia W500 soon, and wanted to try Windows 8. When creating the SD card insaller, can I just run it from the SD card? I did not want to over write the original Wndows 7. I want the tablet to return to stock if the SD card is removed and restarted? Any help?
    I purchased the Acer W500, and am generally quite happy with it.

I didn't buy the W500 to run Windows 7, so I just overwrote the existing OS when I installed Windows 8.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:54 PM