What's up with solution naming conventions and contents in Demos? RRS feed

• Question

• User4953 posted

I see the two demo solutions (Employee Directory and Field Service) have *.Xamarin.sln and *.VisualStudio.sln files. The Xamarin solutions have iOS projects but VisualStudio doesn't. Seems like *.Xamarin.sln should be for Xamarin Studio only, whereas *.VisualStudio.sln should be for Visual Studio only. The issue is that you can't demo the Visual Studio to iOS feature unless you load Xamarin solution into VisualStudio. What's up with the naming conventions and the lack of iOS project in VisualStudio.sln files?

Saturday, March 9, 2013 8:07 AM

All replies

• User1044 posted

Many of the sample apps were likely written before we had Visual Studio support for iOS and/or because not everyone has Business/Enterprise editions of Xamarin.iOS.

I'm just guessing, however, because I didn't write any of the samples :-)

Saturday, March 9, 2013 7:57 PM
  • User4953 posted

Thanks for the quick reply. By implication, I believe you have answer all my questions about the two demos. Honestly, I didn't understand if there was a proper reason for the missing iOS projects. Here's what I understand from your post:

1. *.Xamarin.sln is for Xamarin Studio
    2. *.VisualStudio.sln is for Visual Studio (2010 or 2012)
    3. iOS not being in VisualStudio.sln is an oversight.
    4. I assume that sometimes the sln files can be opened in the opposite IDE but YMMV.

Therefore, I went ahead and added the iOS projects shown in the *.Xamarin.sln into the *.VisualStudio.sln files: File->Add->Existing Project->...iOS...vcproj file.

I marked each iOS project as the StartUp project.

Both demos worked as expected.

Thanks again.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:16 PM
  • User4953 posted

BTW, it takes about 15 seconds for the simulator to appear. Another 20 seconds for the application to open. Simulator is sluggish -- as expected

Windows: Windows 8 Pro, Dell Studio XPS 15z, Intel i5 2410 2.3GHz, SSD

Mac: Windows 8 running VMWare Player 5.02, Mac OS X 10.8.2, Core i3 3210 1.8GHz, SSD, VM has 1.5GB memory. VM has network in bridge mode so IP is visible to Windows.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:24 PM