word of warning regarding WebMatrix and alternatives RRS feed

• Question

• User379720387 posted

The other day I had left WebMatrix running overnight and when I came back to it in the morning it was hung up.

Closed it and restarted it and it wouldn't open my site. Nor, any other sites. It wouldn't even let me create a new site from a template.

Best I could find online was to uninstall WebMatrix and then re-install.

Well, that glimmer of hope was soon crushed as Windows reported it could not find the installation log file.

I am kind of pressed for time with some customer presentations coming and I need this to work, so I started messing with Visual Studio. Well, Visual Studio 2013 no longer supports SQL CE so you cannot open up your database.

Then I call Microsoft Tech Support and create a support request to help me fix this.  It has been 24 hours since I opened the request and have not heard from Microsoft.

That is interesting because they guarantee 2 hour response time.

Here I am traveling, cannot get WebMatrix to work, cannot get WebMatrix uninstalled , and cannot get VS 2013 to open my database, and cannot get an older VS version downloaded due to the enormous size of the download.

What is interesting in Visual Studio is that it will happily publish my db to Azure, but that is not what I want at the moment.

What a mess!

Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:11 AM

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

that blows indeed. What you could do is spin up a VM and install it there or make use of Azure to spin up a VM and install it there and make use of RDP to connect with it. Basically that's how I test VS2015 alpha bits which were released for preview a couple of weeks ago.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:14 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

Not out of hte box, but there is an extension that supports SQL CE (http://sqlcetoolbox.codeplex.com/). It also offers support for Sqlite, which is what MS recommend as a replacement for SQL CE now that they have deprecated it.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:55 PM

All replies

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

that blows indeed. What you could do is spin up a VM and install it there or make use of Azure to spin up a VM and install it there and make use of RDP to connect with it. Basically that's how I test VS2015 alpha bits which were released for preview a couple of weeks ago.

Grz, Kris.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:14 AM
  • User938738290 posted

One more point in favor of using VS instead of WebMatrix, especially now that VS Community is a thing.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:47 AM
  • User379720387 posted

Will the VS Community thingy support SQL CE?

Thursday, December 4, 2014 2:40 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

Not out of hte box, but there is an extension that supports SQL CE (http://sqlcetoolbox.codeplex.com/). It also offers support for Sqlite, which is what MS recommend as a replacement for SQL CE now that they have deprecated it.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:55 PM
  • User379720387 posted

I ended up calling MSDN support and they ended up deleting this entire folder:

users/yourname/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WebMatrix

Then WebMatrix worked again.

For now I can forget about virtual machines, sql lite, and visual studio for which I am very grateful.

Friday, December 5, 2014 2:52 PM
  • User895691971 posted

It is your choice to stick to WebMatrix just because of the SQL CE support. But I would still recommend that you move on to Visual Studio (any edition and version) and use SQL Server database instead of SQL Server CE. For editing purposes, you can easily create your own instances of databases and edit their schema using DBMS (Database Management Studio) by SQL Server. 

It would be of less pain, then to regularly check up for solutions for a software that is no longer in a beating mode (heart beat of course). Visual Studio has been getting updates, ASP.NET 5 is out and Visual Studio 2015 lets you test it in a preview mode. You're a learner, then why are you sticking to the concept you already know; SQL CE and WebMatrix and ASP.NET Web Pages framework.

Learn new stuff, use new tools. You will gain more knowledge and understanding of the tools and platforms. 

Friday, December 5, 2014 3:14 PM
  • User379720387 posted

Actually,  WebMatrix is a tool for me to reach my objectives, which are not gaining more understanding of the tools and platforms.

The tool meets all the requirements. In a very few cases I have reached the limitations of SQL CE, been able to create work-arounds.

I know there are other tools out there but those tools add complexity, and require an investment of time and effort.

I would rather use that time and effort on improving the functionality of what I have, because in the end that functionality does not change no matter what tools I use.

Friday, December 5, 2014 6:34 PM
  • User-1980594115 posted

WebMatrix serves a very good purpose.  If it was not for using WebMatrix, our department would not have switched to ASP.NET as soon as we did.  I am glad that Microsoft developed WebMatrix and provides this forum to aid ones in using it.

Monday, December 8, 2014 10:52 AM
  • User379720387 posted

In that case you have been warned about the possibility of being dead in the water in case WM does not start.

I love it too!  It fits like a glove.

Monday, December 8, 2014 1:16 PM