none
A Question about compatibilty of WBF with different devices RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

i am planning to make a project that uses a finger print for authorization using WBF , but i'm really wondering if it works for different devices (i.e. does it produce the same finger print encoding for different devices for the same finger print?)

thanks alot

Sunday, October 7, 2012 2:35 PM

Answers

• The raw data produced by fingerprint readers generally consists of a biometric sample (which is often quite noisy and has to be cleaned up) along with various kinds of anti-spoofing information. In general, the data format tends to be vendor-specific and undocumented. Samples produced by one fingerprint reader usually can't be interpreted by software intended for a fingeprint reader from a different vendor.

There are ANSI/ISO standards for raw fingerprint sample data as well as for stored fingerprint templates, but not all vendors support them. Also, these cross-vendor standards don't include anti-spoofing data, so that part of the information is lost when moving to the ANSI/ISO formats.

However, if all your devices and their drivers are capable of producing ANSI/ISO standard fingerprint samples, then there are third-party software solutions that will allow you to capture, store, and match fingerprint data across readers from multiple vendors. Just be aware that there is some loss of recognition accuracy when you try to match fingerprint data captured by one vendor's reader with fingerprint data captured by another vendor's reader. (Different sources give different answers about how badly the accuracy drops off.)

Art Baker
    Senior Software Engineer - Windows Security

Monday, October 8, 2012 7:28 PM
  • i would think that the hw participates in the encoding, so it would not be the same across different devices.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 11:59 PM

All replies

• i would think that the hw participates in the encoding, so it would not be the same across different devices.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 11:59 PM
  • Thanks for your answer Doron Holan , do you think that is there anyway to convert the encoding between different devices ? (i.e. if i have a stored fingerprint encoding for a certain device , is there any way to convert it to another device,without involving any hardware at all )?
    Monday, October 8, 2012 6:59 AM
  • The raw data produced by fingerprint readers generally consists of a biometric sample (which is often quite noisy and has to be cleaned up) along with various kinds of anti-spoofing information. In general, the data format tends to be vendor-specific and undocumented. Samples produced by one fingerprint reader usually can't be interpreted by software intended for a fingeprint reader from a different vendor.

There are ANSI/ISO standards for raw fingerprint sample data as well as for stored fingerprint templates, but not all vendors support them. Also, these cross-vendor standards don't include anti-spoofing data, so that part of the information is lost when moving to the ANSI/ISO formats.

However, if all your devices and their drivers are capable of producing ANSI/ISO standard fingerprint samples, then there are third-party software solutions that will allow you to capture, store, and match fingerprint data across readers from multiple vendors. Just be aware that there is some loss of recognition accuracy when you try to match fingerprint data captured by one vendor's reader with fingerprint data captured by another vendor's reader. (Different sources give different answers about how badly the accuracy drops off.)

Art Baker
    Senior Software Engineer - Windows Security

Monday, October 8, 2012 7:28 PM
  • ART ,

I have some questions:-

1. i had created capture exe file , it is able to capture the finger print , but when i save i am not able to save the finger print. I am using Authentec Software.

2. But i had created own capture finger print and want to save that into database and on verification code in C++ exe WBF , using i want to match..

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:56 AM