Asp.net website with sql database to offline mobile app RRS feed

• Question

• User-1540422765 posted

Hello,

I have an asp.net website which uses an sql database to read and display information on its pages. The pages are very simple as they are just used for displaying whats in the database.

I will like to convert this to a mobile app for all mobile devices (or android and iphone for now) but this app should NOT require internet connection (internet connection should be optional)

Can you please advice whats the best aproach?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:48 AM

All replies

• User1779161005 posted

You will want to consider some sort of client-storage. The two main options are: 1) IndexedDB and 2) WebSQL. Unfortunately, half the browsers support one and the other half support the other. I only found one polyfill that might help so you only have to write one codebase.

Welcome to HTML5 :)

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 10:39 AM
  • User1943143334 posted

Hi,

First of all, web pages are served from Web Server! So nothing will be installed on the devices! It be fetched dynamically. SO you need connection to the web server!

As the above user said, you may need to use HTML5 storage, which may not be feasible solution for your requirement, which is fetching the content and serving it!

It may be better idea, if you develop an thick application[which can be installed on the device] and you can achieve your requirement!

Limitation - You may need to develop platform specific application for Apple iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry etc.,

Hope it helps u...

Monday, July 16, 2012 10:53 AM
  • User-1540422765 posted

Thanks for your responses.

To explain my requirement a bit more what I need is a mobile application which:

1. Has a local storage of data

2. Displays content which is store in the local storage

3. When I want to update the app I will be updating that local database

The scenario is:

I have data relating to a bus network. The data makes up the bus routes with bus stops and time schedules. I will like to have this data stored on the client (Smartphone) as users will not have internet at all the times (tourists).

So, basically I will be reading the database and display all bus routes available. Then when the user clicks on a bus route I will display all stops and timetables for that bus route.

Is the above something that can be done in a mobile application?

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:33 AM
  • User1943143334 posted

Hi,

Instead of web app, you can create a thick application which will be a feasible solution! I know, if you want to create Mobile application, we need to target multiple platforms!!!

Moreover, storing the data totally depends on the Mobile device types - http://arty.name/localstorage.html

It totally depends on the size of data you are storing in the localStorage, if you are planning to develop Web App!

Hope it helps u...

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:29 AM
  • User1721159358 posted

Hi,

You may design your Apps using HTML5 (Jquery + css) and using phonegap API for building cross-platform mobile apps. This API can build package files for IOS, android, blackberry etc.. after you have built the package file you can just install the apps in your phone device.

regarding the local storage, android phone come with the built-in sqlite database. but i believe there are some limitation in the storage.

http://phonegap.com/

Regards, 

Kit

Friday, August 24, 2012 10:51 AM
  • User742419527 posted

Hi, 

you may concider using Mobeelizer (www.mobeelizer.com)- synchronization backend for mobile apps. It will save you a lot of time, by giving you:

• local storage - in this case SQLite 
    • ORMapper for easy displaying/saving data to local storage 
    • one central point to design your data schema with version management - so you can have multiple data schema for multiple version of the app
    • synchronization backend - you make synchronization to the central cloud by only calling sync() method, not bothering about what and how should be send. 

There are SDK for multiple mobile platforms - currently iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Titanium. There is also free developer plan - so check it out. It should save you a lot of time and pain. 

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:29 PM