none
Who is "we"? RRS feed

• Question

• This not so much a question as a comment, and I can not find an ideal forum for the comment.

When installing VS 2017, I get a message saying "Give us a minute. We'll be done soon".  Just who is this claptrap aimed at? How do you know it will be a minute? What does "done" mean? There is no "we". A piece of software can not describe itself or refer to itself as "I" or "we". To display these now-fashionable messages is patronising and almost insulting. Do you really think that I am fooled by these personalised messages, and think there is a real person in there? I am not a child, and the passive sense will do just fine, thanks. If I insisted in peppering my applications with this sort of junk text, in this style, I would not be in a job for long. The same style of messages in Windows 10 etc. are a source of scornful amusement in the office. Do you really want people to be laughing at your software?

The solution? In this particular case, I can see the progress bar and need no further patronising text. What next? "We're doing some stuff. Why don't you go and have a coffee?". I really am half-expecting tripe like this to appear on some Windows product soon.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:14 AM

All replies

• This not so much a question as a comment, and I can not find an ideal forum for the comment.

When installing VS 2017, I get a message saying "Give us a minute. We'll be done soon".  Just who is this claptrap aimed at? How do you know it will be a minute? What does "done" mean? There is no "we". A piece of software can not describe itself or refer to itself as "I" or "we". To display these now-fashionable messages is patronising and almost insulting. Do you really think that I am fooled by these personalised messages, and think there is a real person in there? I am not a child, and the passive sense will do just fine, thanks. If I insisted in peppering my applications with this sort of junk text, in this style, I would not be in a job for long. The same style of messages in Windows 10 etc. are a source of scornful amusement in the office. Do you really want people to be laughing at your software?

The solution? In this particular case, I can see the progress bar and need no further patronising text. What next? "We're doing some stuff. Why don't you go and have a coffee?". I really am half-expecting tripe like this to appear on some Windows product soon.

Dear PandanDev,

We appreciate your valuable feedback. Please do contact the Visual Studio Subscription support to leave your feedback.

https://www.visualstudio.com/subscriptions/support/

Thanks,
    prathaprabhu

If my reply is useful please mark it as answered as it help other users with the same query. I am a Microsoft Partner, MVP and MCC and I want to become One Day Microsoft CEO.

Friday, March 24, 2017 6:11 AM