none
Sync - not pulling in whole schema RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to sync an existing database in one region to a new database in another region.

When I set up my Sync Group and refresh the schema, it is only pulling in 80% of the tables. No errors are reported. Here are the general steps I took

• created a new, empty database in West Europe region.
    • created a Sync Group, setting the existing North Europe database as the 'hub', and the new West Europe database as the 'reference' database, with bi-directional syncing selected.
    • went to Sync Rules and refreshed the schema
    • only 80% of the tables are listed.

For the record, there are no prohibited characters in the table names, and the tables in the existing North Europe database contain data. There are around 80 tables in existing db, only 65 showing in the schema Sync pulls in under Sync Rules.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing these tables not to be pulled in?

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

PK defined in the 2nd/3rd/.. column should make no difference. Could you please provide your sync group id? And also is it possible please provide one of the detail table schema which with PK but not show up in portal? We will do further investigation.

Regards,
    Bowen

• Proposed as answer by Bowen Wan Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Girish Prajwal Thursday, April 9, 2015 5:35 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We are looking into this and will update you at the earliest with solution. Stay tuned for details.

Girish Prajwal

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

Yesterday on Mar-17th, we had on outage in SQL Database - North Europe, North Central US, West Europe, Central US and Australia East.

I suggest you to try syncing again to see if that fixes the issue. As the outage is now mitigated and resolved.

Let us know if you are still facing this issue.

Girish Prajwal

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:08 PM
  • Actually, this has been an issue since I tried it last week (before the recent SQL database outage).

I've just tried it again and still the same issue.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Girish, I've just had an email saying to try opening a support case for this issue (that message is not appearing in this thread for some reason).

This is the first thing I did, but apparently Sync is not covered by the technical support team and it was suggested to try the forum instead.

Do you have the ability to check the actual configuration under my subscription (perhaps take this offline)?

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:04 PM
  • Hi PeteDavies,

Apologies, I deleted the previous reply regarding "to create a support case".

I am checking on that with my serniors and also with Product group team for further discussion on this. It takes more time than expected when we have the details from your end.

I will let you know at the earliest. stay tuned for details.

Girish Prajwal

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

Currently SQL Data Sync Service doesn't support sync tables without primary key, so those tables without primary key won't show up on the portal when refresh schema. Could you please check whether those missing tables have pk or not? If not, please add pk for them and refresh the schema again.

Regards,
    Bowen

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:00 AM
  • Hi Bowen

Some of the missing tables do not have a primary key, but some do. Of the ones that do, some of these do not have the pk as the first column (it is the 2nd or 3rd column in the table) - could that also be a factor?

As this is an EPiServer database, I won't be able to add primary keys on the missing tables. So can you suggest any alternatives to using Sync?

Thanks

Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:06 AM
  • Currently it is required to have primary keys on the table before it can be included in the sync group configuration.  The reason is we use the primary key to be able to track and enumerate changes on the source tables.  It is not in our immediate backlog to add support for tables lacking PK, but we will add it to our ask list.

For the tables that do have PK defined though, are you still having issues to pull schema?

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:48 AM
  • Hi Shirley

Yes - even tables that do have a PK (and data) are not included in the schema. I've noticed that for most of those tables, the PK defined is not the first column in the table schema (it can be the 2nd or 3rd or 4th etc...). Would that make a difference?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:18 PM
  • Hi,

PK defined in the 2nd/3rd/.. column should make no difference. Could you please provide your sync group id? And also is it possible please provide one of the detail table schema which with PK but not show up in portal? We will do further investigation.

Regards,
    Bowen

• Proposed as answer by Bowen Wan Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Girish Prajwal Thursday, April 9, 2015 5:35 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:36 AM