Search, display and play video like Youtube RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have videos stored in different libraries on SharePoint. I would like to set it up so that user can search and play videos like Youtube. I know there are embeded code in Youtube, but how can that be done?

Thanks in advance. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, November 9, 2012 2:26 PM

Answers

• By profiling the javascript (with IE developer toolbar) when you click Play link in the popup for your video in SharePoint 2010 asset library, and view the profiling result in Call tree, you can find that the onclick event will call getOverlayPlayer method, which is defined in /_layouts/MediaPlayer.js ; 

Also, by click the onclick in profiler, you can find where the onclick event for the Play link is assigned a function value and where the media player get its source:

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, November 16, 2012 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:45 AM

All replies

• Monday, November 12, 2012 9:15 AM
  • You can use a HTML Form web part or Content Editor webpart and insert youtube video embed code in there.

For videos that are contained in your own sharepoint libraries, you can use out of box sharepoint search web part and silverlight media player web parts.

If you wish to use your own flash files that gets a little trickier but can be still done easier enough.

Monday, November 12, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Hi James,

Thanks for your advice.

For the youtube video embed code, is it just for Youtube video? As I am not quite sure how I can play the videos in my SP library.

As for the SP search webpart and silverlight media player, how can I pass the para to the silverlight media when user clicks one of the search result, do you have any sample?

I think those are the things that stops me from going forward.

BTW, I am still on SP 2010

Thanks in advance.

Monday, November 12, 2012 2:18 PM
  • By profiling the javascript (with IE developer toolbar) when you click Play link in the popup for your video in SharePoint 2010 asset library, and view the profiling result in Call tree, you can find that the onclick event will call getOverlayPlayer method, which is defined in /_layouts/MediaPlayer.js ; 

Also, by click the onclick in profiler, you can find where the onclick event for the Play link is assigned a function value and where the media player get its source:

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, November 16, 2012 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:45 AM